Found a possible setting causing unnecessary battery drain

TWC42

Reaction score
I wondered why, while at home, when I "woke up" my Rezound, it was in the 4G mode, and then would switch to WiFi. Discovered that when I went to "settings", "WiFi", "Menu", "Advanced", the option to "Keep WiFi on during sleep" was set to "Never". Is this the default setting for the HTC Rezound? I sure wouldn't have selected it. A warning states that the setting uses more data. What advantage could there be to turn off WiFi while sleeping in a WiFi area? I suspect that the "Never" setting is a battery hog, forcing the phone to communicate with distant 4G towers rather than nearby WiFi. I reset that setting to "Always". Time will tell if my battery lasts longer. Checked the wife's HTC Incredible 4G, and the setting on her phone was "Always".
Will report back if I see a significant change in battery life as a result of the change to "Always" (remain in WiFi when available).
If anyone knows why one would want the phone to go into the 4G mode in a WiFi area while the phone is sleeping, please comment.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
You are right. I keep mine on "always" for the same reason.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a manual widget to turn my data on manually only when needed.
I keep my Wi-Fi setting to "only when plugged in" so that when the phone is asleep both the 4g radio and Wi-Fi are turned off unless it's charging. This setup has saved me a lot of battery.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

acejavelin

Reaction score
I leave mine set to "Only when plugged in" because I have found WiFi uses more power than 4G in most cases, although where I am the signal strength of 4G is excellent (better than -70dBm about 90% of the time), and my WiFi is excellent signal strength as well (better than -50dBm when at home or main job). YMMV though...

OP
TWC42

TWC42

Reaction score
After just two days of preventing my phone from switching to 4G while sleeping in a WiFi area, it is obvious that it saved a significant amount of battery. I'm a "light" user and I usually make it through the day with GPS on, WiFi on, Data on, and Brightness set to Automatic. At night, the battery level is usually below 40%, sometimes going into the yellow at 20%. The past couple of nights, the battery icon read 58% and 62%. I was at home with WiFi most of the past two days, but never had it that high before by bedtime. Convinced that I found an unnecessary battery drain.

Snoking

Reaction score
I live in a strong 4g area and leave it on all the time and have not battery issues. I listen to xm radio a lot and tether my tablet at times. Manually adjust screen brightness as required. Extended battery always goes more than 24 hours. Chris

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I use the Timeriffic app to manage my 4G & WIFI connections (among other things like Bluetooth, screen brightness, volume, etc). It's set to wifi during my work hours and 4G after work, since my internet connection at home isn't great.
It manages those things based on the time of day...turning things on/off, adjusting the levels of brightness/volume, etc. I've used this app for years...dating back to my G1 days.
So convenient.