Forcing google maps directions audio to handset with bluetooth on... is it possible?

astronut1885

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a new Mustang with the sync system, and I like being able to connect the droid via bluetooth to the car and go hands free. The only problem I am having is that when I use the google maps app and the phone is synced via bluetooth, it tries to give the audio for the navigation through the bluetooth connection and not the handset speaker. If I un-sync, then it uses the handset but all my sync capabilities with the car are crap. Is there a way to force the phone to give the gps audio directions via the handset speaker despite being linked to a bluetooth device?
Thanks guys! dancedroid

Fault

Reaction score
So just to be clear. U want like your music to still be coming out of ur car speakers, but the turn by turn directions to be coming out of the handset?

OP
A

astronut1885

Reaction score
Exactly. I want the phone to be paired to the car, completely sync'd, able to use all the voice commands that the car system offers, I just want it to give the audio for the GPS by way of the handset speaker. The problem is that if I am listening to a CD or the radio, my car won't switch to the bluetooth source to play the messages. I've heard of people syncing and using pandora as a way around this to have music and GPS prompts play nice, but I would like an option to just tell the phone to NOT send the voice directions through the bluetooth. Honestly, if I was using a BT headset, I still think I'd rather have it coming out of the handset anyway.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
For a BT headset, depends on the headset and what Bt props it has.

But I don't think at this time you can have nav out to it, certainly not audio out one way and nav another. The OS just doesn't have those options yet.

OP
A

astronut1885

Reaction score
I don't want two audio outputs from the droid. I just want it to give me GPS directions on it's own speaker while I listen to my car's CD player. All the while, though, I'd like them to be linked so that I can have the hands free calling. Basically as if I had a BT headset but didn't want the directions in my ear, I want them from the speakerphone while using google maps.

epb

Reaction score
I'd also like to be able to do this. If I want to use the navigation while listening to a CD or my iPod, I don't get to hear any of the nav prompts.

Stigy

Reaction score
The phone sends Voice directions over A2DP (the audio protocol). What you want to accomplish is leaving the "Headset" profile connected which will give you the phone call abilities and voice dialing, but disable the A2DP profile which is what is sending the audio over the Bluetooth.

Not sure exactly how the sync system works, BUT you can go into the Bluetooth Settings and choose the device and uncheck "Media Audio" from the device.

That SHOULD fix it. Let me know if that works.

epb

Reaction score
The phone sends Voice directions over A2DP (the audio protocol). What you want to accomplish is leaving the "Headset" profile connected which will give you the phone call abilities and voice dialing, but disable the A2DP profile which is what is sending the audio over the Bluetooth.

Not sure exactly how the sync system works, BUT you can go into the Bluetooth Settings and choose the device and uncheck "Media Audio" from the device.

That SHOULD fix it. Let me know if that works.

I ended up figuring this one out yesterday and it worked pretty well. I have a Dual head unit so not sure if it'll work with the Sync. Personally, I find the audio streaming over Bluetooth way too low anyway so I'm probably better off just plugging it into the AUX jack if I want to listen to music.

bfaridnia

Reaction score
I ended up figuring this one out yesterday and it worked pretty well. I have a Dual head unit so not sure if it'll work with the Sync. Personally, I find the audio streaming over Bluetooth way too low anyway so I'm probably better off just plugging it into the AUX jack if I want to listen to music.

What was your solution?

qlitchford

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen,

I realize that I'm digging up this thread from the grave, but I couldn't find an answer to this question myself. This thread was also one of the first to show up in a Google search when looking for the answer. Please forgive my necromancy, but I assure you it is for the common good as I have found a solution.

I have a 2012 Ford Fiesta with MS Sync and a Rezound. I was able to listen to files from a USB stick over the stereo while using the speaker on the phone for GPS navigation until recently. I wanted to listen to a podcast via the Subsonic app once and haven't been able to reverse the change. Until just now!

Here is how to fix it:
MS Sync isn't sophisticated enough to fix the problem. However, your phone should be. I'm on a stock rom running 2.3.4 Android.

On your phone...
Settings > Wireless & networks > Bluetooth settings > LONG Press on SYNC > Options....

Mine looked like...
Connect to...

SYNC options
Connect
Connect to Bluetooth device

Profiles
Phone
-Use for phone audio CHECK
-Use for media audio UNCHECK this

I hope that this helps someone, somewhere, someday. Good luck, and godspeed.

bfaridnia

Reaction score
On your phone...
Settings > Wireless & networks > Bluetooth settings > LONG Press on SYNC > Options....

Mine looked like...
Connect to...

SYNC options
Connect
Connect to Bluetooth device

Profiles
Phone
-Use for phone audio CHECK
-Use for media audio UNCHECK this

I hope that this helps someone, somewhere, someday. Good luck, and godspeed.

thanks man! I learned about the options menu after I had already given up on this. You saved me.

Last edited: