I'm getting one today (hopefully). I have a D1 and it's getting bad. My NE2 isn't until May but I Verizon sent me an e-mail saying I have a "loyalty" disoucnt and can upgrade, so I'm going to.
Unless people REALLY like a keyboard, then waiting for a Maxx or a Maxx DE isn't such a bad idea, but if not, then they'll be better phones out there by the time these come out. I was thinking about it and if there's a 2 month wait (like with the Razr), then the D4maxx will be an April release (and that's when the Galaxy S III is rumored to be out), the DE will be out in June and, going by release dates for previous start phones, the D5 in August or later.
I'm waiting at least for a few days. I'm still running the D1 (got it on release day), but it is getting very tired. My choices as of now would be either the D4 or the Rezound. I'm waiting on some real world user feedback from the folks that are buying the D4 now before pulling the trigger. The non-removable battery really concerns me.
I have been sitting on an upgrade for a couple months now. Finally pulled the trigger today on the D4. Couldn't wait any longer...LOL If you really like having a keyboard (like I do) I don't see much reason to wait. Early reviews have been extremely positive. It would not surprise me if there is a D4 Maxx in a few months but I honestly don't think it will be a big deal for me. My D2 still lasts me all day on the original battery. And at $160 on upgrade from VZ, couldn't pass it up.