Folder/App/Delete question

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
If I have several app icons that I make a folder for....and drag those icons into that folder....when I go back to drag the "old icons" into the trash....I get a question of "do I want to uninstall the app"...I cancel, as I don't.

But, I am trying to free up space on my screens. I must be forgetting something. Otherwise, I am simply losing space, by taking up space with a folder and not being able to delete the icons.

What am I not doing right?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
What old icons? when I drag one into a folder the one on the screen disappears.....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I have several app icons that I make a folder for....and drag those icons into that folder....when I go back to drag the "old icons" into the trash....I get a question of "do I want to uninstall the app"...I cancel, as I don't.

But, I am trying to free up space on my screens. I must be forgetting something. Otherwise, I am simply losing space, by taking up space with a folder and not being able to delete the icons.

When you drag an app from your home screen into a folder you shouldn't have that icon remaining outside of the folder.

edit: I know what's going on.... when you 'trash' an icon, if you hold over the trash can for too long it will switch from a simple removal of the icon to asking if you wish to uninstall the app. I didn't not know this, but it's def good to know.
Glad this issue came up! Another way to uninstall apps!

So drag over the trash can and drop... don't wait, (actually if you look under you finger when you drag an icon to the trash can, and don't let go, you'll see a small pop that saws 'uninstall application')

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Stock Home or a Replacement Home?

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Home ++

I just went back and tried to replicate what was happening.

When I press on an icon and drag it into a folder I created, it does go into the folder. But, when I go back to the screen where it was originally sitting....it is still there. I just tried to drag and delete the icon from its original placement. When it gets over the famous trash can, and drop it, I get a new screen with the message of "drop to uninstall". (If I hold it there for 2-3 seconds)

I just noticed if I drop it quickly, nothing results. The icon stays back at its original placement. But, if I drag it and hold it over the trash can for 2-3 seconds, then I get the uninstall message.

Apparently, you can add icons to a common folder but, you cannot delete them from where you dragged them.

Not sure.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01

When you drag an app from your home screen into a folder you shouldn't have that icon remaining outside of the folder.

edit: I know what's going on.... when you 'trash' an icon, if you hold over the trash can for too long it will switch from a simple removal of the icon to asking if you wish to uninstall the app. I didn't not know this, but it's def good to know.
Glad this issue came up! Another way to uninstall apps!

So drag over the trash can and drop... don't wait, (actually if you look under you finger when you drag an icon to the trash can, and don't let go, you'll see a small pop that saws 'uninstall application')

Sorry, I posted and did not see your reply! That is what is happening, BUT when I quick drop, nothing happens. This ONLY occurs on when I am dealing with icons, not on the main screen, but those existing on the screen pulled up with the arrow up button, meaning those additional icons added as the main screen filled up.

From any other screen, as I long press on an icon, it travels with my finger, leaving an empty spot.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you clarified. That icon/apps that are in the app drawer (screen pulled up with the arrow up button) can not be removed from there. Your homescreens can have icons removed/moved, not the app drawer.
Although I do know that DxTop (home replacement app) allows for customization of the app drawer.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thanks for the help with something that appears to be so trivial. At least I have not lost my mind...yet :biggrin:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the help with something that appears to be so trivial. At least I have not lost my mind...yet :biggrin:
Don't worry, just when you think you've NOT lost your mind, you'll find something else to make you come close to losing it again! :icon_ banana:
if I could remember the thread that had the DxTop screen shots of the customized app drawer I'd link it for you :(