FlatPad 10" Android 2.1 Tablet now available in US for $285

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
2my5hjn.jpg

Update 8/2 8:12PM EST:
Important Update: We have just discovered that this product does not have an A8 CPU, so don't buy based on that. Please see this thread for additional discussion about this topic: ZeniThink ZT-180 Specifications Faking, Not ARMv7 A8-Cortex!

ZeniThink ZT-180 Specifications Faking, Not ARMv7 A8-Cortex!

--

If you are looking for a solid Android tablet and the Augen GenTouch just wasn't for you, I have great news today. FlatComputing, an American company based in Texas, just announced a 10" Android 2.1 tablet ready for the US market, dubbed the FlatPad A10. Actually, FlatComputing had been shipping the first revision of the A10 since July 27th. The FlatPad is currently stocked in the United States, and is available for $285 USD. A bit more expensive than the Augen GenTouch, but when you read the specs you will see why:

• ARM Cortex-A8 Processor 1GHz+
  • 2GB Flash Memory
  • 256MB RAM
  • microSD memory card slot up to 32GB
  • 10.2” TFT ,1024×600 RESISTIVE Touchscreen Display
  • WiFi support
  • Accelerometer
  • WebCam
  • 1-USB 2.0 Host port and 1-USB 2.0 OTG port
  • 2400 mAh battery (5-7 hours battery life)
  • Built in stereo speakers 1Wx2
  • 1080p video playback support
  • Google Maps
  • and of course an Android 2.1 operating System
FlatComputing also promises that the device will be upgradeable to Android 2.2 "sometime" in August. These specs look fantastic, when compared to the Augen GenTouch. The build quality also looks much improved, as the device seems to be more metallic than "plasticky." The only downside is that pesky resistive display. But for $285, this sounds like a bargain. And for better or worse, the device looks exactly like an iPad.

Shanzai is reporting that the FlatPad A10 is a re-branded Zenithink ZT-180 tablet. The main difference between the two: the FlatPad is available for purchase in the US today. Check out a hands-on video with the Zenithink tablet (via Shanzai):

[video=youtube;G3thgFZli0A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3thgFZli0A&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Here is the FlatPad A10's boxing:

33kbwat.jpg

And a view from the side...

ev88pj.jpg

via Liliputing
For more photos, check here: FlatComputing

At this time, the FlatPad is only available online. To purchase, go here: FlatComputing products page

Follow the FlatPad forums here

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm....wuyanks, I wonder if should eat my words? I predicted entry-level tablets at $400, and this is a good $100+ cheaper! Well, I think there are two features that justify the lower price: resistive screen, and a "lesser-known" manufacturer. So I'm still holding on to my original prediction! (Yeah, I'm a stubborn guy!)

-Matt

DanielC

Reaction score
I don't see myself with a tablet-like device until Gingerbread becomes the standard. Maybe by Q1 2011?

Jollyroger86

Reaction score
i was just looking at getting a ipad. I am going to wait and see how this tablet does. It looks promising since it has more features then the ipad.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Is it just me or does that thing look exactly like an ipad?

Droidfish

Reaction score
I wonder just how much of the cost savings can be attributed to the resistive touch screen because this is pretty good deal. I'm just wondering what the cost of a capacitive multi-touch tablet with the otherwise same specs would cost.

Sunnyside

Reaction score
I know I will sound nuts here but I wish these pads would also work as a phone. I dont need to hold it up to my ear as I would use my bluetooth hands free for that. But dam I would love the screen size and the capability of phone calls not on VOIP for a tablet.

Using google voice or skype and a wireless I-net connection, you essentially do have a VOIP phone built in. right?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Can some explain the resistive screen as opposed to a Droid?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can some explain the resistive screen as opposed to a Droid?

for resistive you need to apply pressure (sometimes A LOT of pressure) for the screen to recognize input... as opposed to capacitive, which senses heat (and doesn't require pressure)

Last edited:

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
i agree with the people that think this looks like an ipad, i really dont want an ipad look alike running a different os even though the os is better still looks like an ipad.

Yodes

Reaction score
Lol look at the box guys. It has an ipad iOS interface on it. Im calling shenanigans.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk