[Flashaholic's] what's your ROM setup routine?

chewy74

Reaction score
Since getting on DroidTh3ory's roms after his return, he's been releasing about 2 to 3 updates per day, and with awesome roms coming out like sorcery I will be flashing very often.

So I was curious to see what everyone's routine was when flashing a new rom and getting their setup running... especially for the power flashers

Even with tb and its batch app restore its gotten tedious if you flash a lot. So I've started making a copy of my apks in my /data/apps folder. When I dl a new rom I will just use astro to open up the rom zip and drop all of the apks I backed up from my /data/apps folder in the roms /data/apps folder.

Astro will zip it back up and then I flash it and all my apps are instantly restored. Then I use tb to restore app data only and goggle account info and a quick reboot and I'm up and running. I only use 2 Widgets so nothing for home screen setup.

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
I usually flash sign into Google at start up go into the market let it restore, then use TiBu for my personal and app settings. Usually takes me about an hour, also I need to remember astro also saves apps to and use that more often.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

doublea500

Reaction score
very simple. heres my process.

1 download rom
2 clear data and then flash rom
3 sign in to google, then reboot
4 wait a few minutes
5 tibu
6 enjoy the rom/test.

takes me about an hour, including the fact that half the time im not looking at the phone.

OP
chewy74

chewy74

Reaction score
Wow an hour?

I will sometimes flash 2 or 3 roms in a day...I can't see spending an hour each time at set up. I only usually take 15 mins at most to get up and running...

You guys got the patience of a monk haha

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
@chewy74 - cool process!

I can flash and be reset up in about 30 minutes...I multitask while doing it so 30 minutes isn't bad to me ;)...

Axium

Reaction score
titanium backup, sms backup & restore and i'm good to go. maybe play around with the rom/phone settings for 10 mins to get it how i like it. this process still takes ~25ish mins cause i like to do a nandroid before i flash a new rom and I have a bad habit of restoring all of my texts

PARick

Reaction score
Well, what ususally takes me the longest, is reinstalling my widgests and folders. However, I recently learned that with Apex, you can save everything and restore, so next time that will save me 30 minutes!

OP
chewy74

chewy74

Reaction score
yeah, is apex suppose to restore widgets too?

hmm, it never seems to restore them for me...i will have to play with it some more. Nova is suppose to do that too, but it never worked right for me.

turdbogls

Reaction score
after a clean wipe
i skip the sign in
open up the play store
sign in
download TiBackup and the Pro Key (pro is amazing because you just hit batch restore and it does it...no need to hit install for every app)
open Ti
Menu>batch restore>missing apps with data
run
while that is running i usually go into the ROM settings and set that all up. along with ringtones, sound settings, and other things i do in the settings.
by the time that is done the batch restore is about 80% done, but my launcher is loaded, so i set that up.

from time of wipe to back to working, it is usually about 15-20 minutes.

also, just an FYI, you can do an advanced restore of user apps (restores data too IIRC) from a nandroid. as long as the ROM is similar (ex: 4.0.3 rom to 4.0.3 ROM) there shouldn't be any problems restoring apps that way. but i am so used to my current method, its not that big of a deal.