Flash To Stock/Maderstock/Netflix Question

NowhereMan1985

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently running Liberty 2.0.1 on Android 2.2.

I'd like to upgrade to 2.3 Gingerbread stock to try it for a bit and then I'll probably switch back to GB Liberty. I have the Maderstock .340 zip (was spelled maderstcok340.zip on my download). I'm getting a bit confused with the different forum posts and methods so I have a couple questions before I take the plunge to Gingerbread. If you need further phone information, let me know.

1. Can I install the maderstock zip using the DroidX bootstrapper/Clockwork Recovery method like I've done with other ROMs or do I have to do the RSD lite method?

2. Once I return to stock Gingerbread via maderstock, will I only be able to use Gingerbread ROMs in the future?

3. Is the new hacked Netflix app functioning on the GB version of Liberty? I'm just curious.

Thanks for your help.

ColinZack

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently running Liberty 2.0.1 on Android 2.2.

I'd like to upgrade to 2.3 Gingerbread stock to try it for a bit and then I'll probably switch back to GB Liberty. I have the Maderstock .340 zip (was spelled maderstcok340.zip on my download). I'm getting a bit confused with the different forum posts and methods so I have a couple questions before I take the plunge to Gingerbread. If you need further phone information, let me know.

1. Can I install the maderstock zip using the DroidX bootstrapper/Clockwork Recovery method like I've done with other ROMs or do I have to do the RSD lite method?

2. Once I return to stock Gingerbread via maderstock, will I only be able to use Gingerbread ROMs in the future?

3. Is the new hacked Netflix app functioning on the GB version of Liberty? I'm just curious.

Thanks for your help.

I'm pretty sure maderstock is stock froyo, but yes, you could flash it like other roms.

Once you're on Gingerbread, I believe you need to SBF back to froyo because of the changes in GB

OP
N

NowhereMan1985

Reaction score
Ohh, ok. I thought Maderstock was GB. I also forgot to mention that I wanted root access as well.

I should clarify: I've read a bunch of different how-to posts but I'm having trouble trying to figure out which method applies to me. Is it me or is it that it's a lot more complicated to upgrade to Gingerbread versus flashing a ROM?

Here are some of the links I was reading:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...e-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post1025361 (in this link it says Maderstock is GB, 2.3.340)

[video=youtube;c58XaWnr6XE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c58XaWnr6XE]YouTube - How To SBF Droid X to full 2.3.340 OS 2.2 Now linked for Droid 2[/video]

How to: Get Rooted Gingerbread on DROID X - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

So point blank: What do I need or which method do I need to follow to update my Liberty 2.0.1/Android 2.2 phone to, and in this order:
- Stock Gingerbread (just to check it out for a couple days)
- Rooted Gingerbread (would the above Droid-Life link work?)
- Gingerbread ROM (probably Liberty, but I would just flash this as I did with ROMs on Froyo, right?)

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just want to make sure I do it properly.

ColinZack

Reaction score
Ohh, ok. I thought Maderstock was GB. I also forgot to mention that I wanted root access as well.

I should clarify: I've read a bunch of different how-to posts but I'm having trouble trying to figure out which method applies to me. Is it me or is it that it's a lot more complicated to upgrade to Gingerbread versus flashing a ROM?

Here are some of the links I was reading:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...e-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post1025361 (in this link it says Maderstock is GB, 2.3.340)

YouTube - How To SBF Droid X to full 2.3.340 OS 2.2 Now linked for Droid 2

How to: Get Rooted Gingerbread on DROID X - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

So point blank: What do I need or which method do I need to follow to update my Liberty 2.0.1/Android 2.2 phone to, and in this order:
- Stock Gingerbread (just to check it out for a couple days)
- Rooted Gingerbread (would the above Droid-Life link work?)
- Gingerbread ROM (probably Liberty, but I would just flash this as I did with ROMs on Froyo, right?)

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just want to make sure I do it properly.

As confusing as this may be, GB is NOT 2.3.340. That's something different, although I'm not sure what. SBFing is what you'll want to do to return to stock froyo from GB. Just make sure you get the full stock SBF.

To get stock gingerbread you'll need to get one of the couple different leaks that are currently out there. Personally, I found the signed one to be easiest. Not sure what version it was, but all you do was rename it to update and then run it from the android recovery, not clockwork.

For root, I believe that should work but I never had rooted GB.

Yes, I believe thats true, but to be the most up to date liberty I think you need to flash v0.1 first, and then you can upgrade to the newest one. Not sure how others work. You might need to be on GB first, you may not. Its gonna vary by ROM I believe.

OP
N

NowhereMan1985

Reaction score
(Can't quote correctly) "As confusing as this may be, GB is NOT 2.3.340." This is probably the most helpful piece of information I needed. I thought that was GB.

Anyway, I searched for leaked Gingerbread and it turns out that [video=youtube;IIFCOmHDyt8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIFCOmHDyt8"]this[/URL] link which referenced this[/video] link is exactly what I needed to flash from Liberty 2.0.1 to Gingerbread (leaked & rooted). As I said I'm going to futz around with vanilla GB for a bit before I try Liberty GB.

Thanks for your help!

ajb3985

Reaction score
Is this build .595? the article came out in march. I want to go from liberty 2.0.1 to .595 rooted of course to tether and netflix

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
N

NowhereMan1985

Reaction score
Is this build .595? the article came out in march. I want to go from liberty 2.0.1 to .595 rooted of course to tether and netflix

I flashed GB .573, but it didn't work well and there's the newer leak .595 you mentioned, so I had to use RSD Lite and SBF flash back to stock Froyo. At this point, I'm going to flash .595 since that version can receive the OTA updates after that version.

The OTA version (.588?) looks like it started rolling out about a month ago and from another source, officially on 13 May, but my phone doesn't see it yet.

The one problem I've been having since flashing to GB and even now back to Froyo is my sent texts fail with the stock app, but I can receive normally, but that's a problem for another sub-forum.

Edit: So basically if you're coming from Liberty and you want the latest GB you have to use this link to go back to stock Froyo and then install the .595 update from there.

Edit: .595 is available in a rooted odexed and deodexed version, but you will not be able to update those OTA. I'm using this as a guide: [video=youtube;008PqKWPpPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=008PqKWPpPQ]YouTube - Droid X Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.595) Official OTA Upgrade Path Install Tutorial[/video]

Edit 2: The stock version of .595 from that video did not work (install aborted from Clockwork) so I re-installed Liberty 2.0.1 and I'm going to make a go at the rooted version.

Edit 3 (Last one): From that YouTube link, the stock version didn't install and the odexed version caused a bootloop so I just went back to Liberty 2.0.1 and I'll wait until GB is officially released and then SBF back to Froyo and officially upgrade when a rooted version is available.