Fitness Friday: Holiday Parties

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
112711-Holiday_Party.jpg

We are fast approaching the holiday season where we will gorge on both gadgets and junk food and regret both at the start of the new year. The New York Times report that the average American will gain 1-2 pounds during the holiday period and those overweight tend to gain even more. With work becoming busy, weather getting colder, and the stresses of dealing with family (buying gifts, hosting dinners and parties, etc) it is easy to see how we can get overwhelmed.

So over the next few weeks we are going to drop some holiday tips as well as meal ideas to help you get through this period. We also encourage members to provide tips and recipes to help make health conscience meals.

My Two tips to start things off:

1) Do not skip working out: When time get in a crunch we try and eliminate as much as possible to make up for it. But I encourage you to keep your workouts as it will help with stress, help you feel good, and will help shed/maintain the weight. If you have to cut your workouts from 1hr to 30 mins I suggest more high intense workouts like crossfit where you working the entire body in a short span.

2) Add the green: Sugar cookies, cakes, pies, and puddings are going to crowd the plate during this period but also add the green, and I am not meaning the green sprinkled sugar cookie, to your plate. If you can make half your plate fruit and vegetables you can still enjoy the sweets while helping your waste line. Also make it a thing that every time you refill your plate you add more greens (example the second time you refill you go from 50% greens to 75% greens).

So prepare to enjoy the season of gadgets and holiday cheer and do so with no regrets come January 2nd.

Reactions: cr6

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I feel like garbage when I eat sugar and processed foods. Don't get me wrong I love cakes, pies, cookies, donuts and all kinds of sweets but the response my body goes through after consuming them just isn't worth it.

When I get tempted, I ask myself--'is it worth it?', and the answer is always a resounding....NO.

I like to operate on the edge at all times and anything that slows me down or depresses my performance has no spot on my plate.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I feel like garbage when I eat sugar and processed foods. Don't get me wrong I love cakes, pies, cookies, donuts and all kinds of sweets but the response my body goes through after consuming them just isn't worth it.

When I get tempted, I ask myself--'is it worth it?', and the answer is always a resounding....NO.

I like to operate on the edge at all times and anything that slows me down or depresses my performance has no spot on my plate.

^and this my friends is where I am striving to get to....but that sugar be calling me man......

hqdefault.jpg

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've gotten to that point.. Just like if I eat a bunch of crap.. I feel like crap.. I'm not 100% sugar free.. But i try to use raw honey and coconut sugar in its place.. I've shed a few more lbs of flab since September.. And I'm not craving..

Green tea is my go to drink now too.. CK is rubbing off. Lol

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Great advice. The biggest thing that helped me was to eat slower. Out of everything that I have tried this gave me the most improvement to my regime.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Reese's peanut butter cups, king size, is my limit of sweet crap for a week. Used to be dark chocolate snickers. Give me a pound of turkey breast (is that family friendly?) And the Lions and I'm a happy camper. BTW, yams are disgusting. The only childhood food I still detest.

We must...We must...increase our boost

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Yams are good when prepared right. Unfortunately that means combining them with a lot of brown sugar, pecans, and marshmallow.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yams are good when prepared right. Unfortunately that means combining them with a lot of brown sugar, pecans, and marshmallow.
Yes, so awesome but so bad. See southern food like that, pecan pie, sweet potato pie, and banana pudding makes it hard to kick the stuff. I admire people who have the discipline to say no 100% of the time to that stuff. I know it is a matter of lifestyle and I bet ck do not deal with issues like cravings because he has remained so discipline.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yes, so awesome but so bad. See southern food like that, pecan pie, sweet potato pie, and banana pudding makes it hard to kick the stuff. I admire people who have the discipline to say no 100% of the time to that stuff. I know it is a matter of lifestyle and I bet ck do not deal with issues like cravings because he has remained so discipline.
Yeah I don't have cravings. It's interesting that once you totally stop eating sugar laden foods the cravings go away. There's a excellent documentary called Fed Up that I highly recommend everyone watch. It only $10.00 and well worth the information you will take away from it, not to mention you will see how the company's who make products filled with sugar are trying to hide how much sugar is in their products.

There's a call to put how many tablespoons of sugar are in products. You will notice that sugar content is only listed in grams. There's a reason for that. We don't know what X grams of sugar looks like, but if we were told there is 3 tablespoons of sugar per serving we'd get it right away. "Holy cow that's a lot!!"

Needless to say the food manufacturers are pushing back saying listing sugar content as tablespoons could potentially scare people away and puts it in a negative light.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It might scare some people... But unfortunately.. There are those that will just say... So, I'll work it off.. And many other excuses.. Ya know what they say...

Excuses are for those that need them..

Put 20 packets of sugar in a glass.. That's a Pepsi or a coke.. that will give you some idea..

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Think of it this way.. 1 Oreo cookie has 4.5 grams of sugar or 1 teaspoon.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah I don't have cravings. It's interesting that once you totally stop eating sugar laden foods the cravings go away. There's a excellent documentary called Fed Up that I highly recommend everyone watch. It only $10.00 and well worth the information you will take away from it, not to mention you will see how the company's who make products filled with sugar are trying to hide how much sugar is in their products.

There's a call to put how many tablespoons of sugar are in products. You will notice that sugar content is only listed in grams. There's a reason for that. We don't know what X grams of sugar looks like, but if we were told there is 3 tablespoons of sugar per serving we'd get it right away. "Holy cow that's a lot!!"

Needless to say the food manufacturers are pushing back saying listing sugar content as tablespoons could potentially scare people away and puts it in a negative light.
Watched fed up and yeah totally changed my outlook on food. The sole reason I kicked sugared drinks.