Fitness Friday: Cancer

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
cancer_homepage_image.jpg

In this article we are going to discuss something that have impacted many if not all of us one way or another. Cancer is defined as an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the body. The causes of cancer is still one that is being researched but many believe that it can be a result of chemicals in our foods and in our environment. Unfortunately we have not completely nailed down what will cause cancer so we are mainly at the stage of "what could cause cancer" based on the studies that we have in the field.

The best way to try and prevent cancer is to be aware of your environment. Choose more natural foods and foods that are not chemically altered or uses chemical preservatives or pesticides. This goes back to the saying if you do not know what it is then it is probably not good for the body. Also make sure to get regular check ups and screenings as the earlier the problem is discovered the better the odds are of treating it.

To those who are (or know of someone) fighting cancer stay strong and continue fighting the fight. Know our thoughts and prayers are with those battling this that not only will they overcome it but we eventually are able to nail down a solid cure.

Lastly, there are many foundations that support cancer research and if you get a chance some time this year take the time to study and support those causes if you can. I personally have known people who have survived and some who lost the battle to cancer (like many of you out there) so this is near and dear to my heart.

Because we are an android forum I will link an app below that will provide information in regard to therapy, treatment, and facts about the disease.

If any of you know of a charity, foundation, or an app that I did not list please comment below.

Cancer Foundations for donations:
  1. Charitable Contribution to the American Cancer Society Donate
  2. Home
  3. Donate - National Breast Cancer Foundation

Apps:
  1. Cancer Therapy Advisor - Android Apps on Google Play

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My oldest sister had a golf ball sized tumor removed from her brain this past summer, then had to go back under the knife because there was fluid building up in the area.

She's on the mend now. Done with radiation treatments and back to work full time, but it took quite a while and she was an ultr-marathon runner prior to the discovery of the tumor.

Based on what the figured out about it, they know that she ran at least one ultra-marathon, but probably more, with that tumor. The one we're sure she ran with that tumor in her brain, she did 97 out of 100 miles overnight in October.

Goes to show sometimes it doesn't matter how healthy you are.

My grandpa also died with use of only one lung, which he lived with for, I wanna say, around a year. He smoked from around the age of 15 until the alzheimer's took over enough that he just stopped craving them, passing away in his late 80's.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My oldest sister had a golf ball sized tumor removed from her brain this past summer, then had to go back under the knife because there was fluid building up in the area.

She's on the mend now. Done with radiation treatments and back to work full time, but it took quite a while and she was an ultr-marathon runner prior to the discovery of the tumor.

Based on what the figured out about it, they know that she ran at least one ultra-marathon, but probably more, with that tumor. The one we're sure she ran with that tumor in her brain, she did 97 out of 100 miles overnight in October.

Goes to show sometimes it doesn't matter how healthy you are.

My grandpa also died with use of only one lung, which he lived with for, I wanna say, around a year. He smoked from around the age of 15 until the alzheimer's took over enough that he just stopped craving them, passing away in his late 80's.

Agree, it is still one one of those things we are still trying to figure out. My mother had a tumor removed from her brain at my birth and I know she still have to undergo treatment for it every now and then for it.

Whether it is what we eat, what we drink, what we breathe, or what we are exposed to, all is still one of those things where they "think" this or that may be the cause. We basically left with the "this was found to cause cancer/tumors in rats" found on packages of the things we buy.
Glad your sister made it and prayers she continue to remain free and is able to get back to marathon running if that is her goal.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agree, it is still one one of those things we are still trying to figure out. My mother had a tumor removed from her brain at my birth and I know she still have to undergo treatment for it every now and then for it.

Whether it is what we eat, what we drink, what we breathe, or what we are exposed to, all is still one of those things where they "think" this or that may be the cause. We basically left with the "this was found to cause cancer/tumors in rats" found on packages of the things we buy.
Glad your sister made it and prayers she continue to remain free and is able to get back to marathon running if that is her goal.
Thanks & sure is. She already did a short obstacle run as her comeback shortly after thanksgiving. I admire her spirit completely.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, timely post. I am in the midst of a small cancer scare. My submandibular saliva gland became extremely swollen and infected. I've been on antibiotic for over 3 weeks now. It continues to shrink but is still hard and roughly the size of a peanut under my jaw. Doctor is giving it two more weeks and if not completely gone will want a CAT scan. Amazing how much clearly you start thinking when you ponder the C word.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wow, timely post. I am in the midst of a small cancer scare. My submandibular saliva gland became extremely swollen and infected. I've been on antibiotic for over 3 weeks now. It continues to shrink but is still hard and roughly the size of a peanut under my jaw. Doctor is giving it two more weeks and if not completely gone will want a CAT scan. Amazing how much clearly you start thinking when you ponder the C word.
Best of luck! We'll all be pulling for you to get better whether it is or isn't.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Best of luck! We'll all be pulling for you to get better whether it is or isn't.

2nd that, pulling for you LWA.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Great write up @pc747. Cancer affects us all.. Sadly.. Goodluck @LoneWolfArcher I hope it's just a stubborn gland..