First time Droid user, battery question

berfles

Reaction score
I know this gets asked a lot, but when I search I see most people saying the X2 has a decent battery life.

I just got mine yesterday, it was fully charged when I woke up at 7am. I brought it to work and used a GPS related app, something that tells me speed and all that, for the 31 mile commute. When I got to work the battery was about a quarter gone. By lunch it was half, and now it's telling me to plug the charger in after using it for a bit.

I turned off all GPS and wifi features later and know not to turn them on unless I really need them.

This seems pretty short to me, I know the ride in probably took a lot of juice and I likely won't be doing that again unless I have it charging in the car. Any other tips or comments for conserving battery?

MrWilliams

Reaction score
I used navigation this past weekend for a 3 hour round trip and didn't use a quarter of the battery. My guess is that something other than the GPS is the culprit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
B

berfles

Reaction score
I used navigation this past weekend for a 3 hour round trip and didn't use a quarter of the battery. My guess is that something other than the GPS is the culprit.

Interesting, so what else could it be? How would I troubleshoot this?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Over the next two weeks your battery should improve. I now get 15 hours of pretty heavy use, when on the first few days I was barley getting 8 hours.

Saying that I have chargers at home and work and a mobile charger when I can't plug in when there is no power around.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know this gets asked a lot, but when I search I see most people saying the X2 has a decent battery life.

I just got mine yesterday, it was fully charged when I woke up at 7am. I brought it to work and used a GPS related app, something that tells me speed and all that, for the 31 mile commute. When I got to work the battery was about a quarter gone. By lunch it was half, and now it's telling me to plug the charger in after using it for a bit.

I turned off all GPS and wifi features later and know not to turn them on unless I really need them.

This seems pretty short to me, I know the ride in probably took a lot of juice and I likely won't be doing that again unless I have it charging in the car. Any other tips or comments for conserving battery?

Get a car charger so when you use navigation it is being charged. Also do not put in on the windshield in direct sunlight, batteries don't like the heat especially during the summer months.

sent from droidforums app

km75

Reaction score

Could be a variety of things. Are you using a task killer by any chance

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
B

berfles

Reaction score
Over the next two weeks your battery should improve. I now get 15 hours of pretty heavy use, when on the first few days I was barley getting 8 hours.

Saying that I have chargers at home and work and a mobile charger when I can't plug in when there is no power around.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it needed breaking in or anything. Would looking at the battery manager to see what's is using it most be a wise thing?

OP
B

berfles

Reaction score

Could be a variety of things. Are you using a task killer by any chance

No task killer and it wasn't in the sun either.

km75

Reaction score

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it needed breaking in or anything. Would looking at the battery manager to see what's is using it most be a wise thing?

Definitely couldn't hurt

OP
B

berfles

Reaction score
Te thing that's using the most battery is the screen, it's at 54%. I turned the brightness down and turned off the auto adjust but the usage didn't go down. I guess I'll just see how ti goes in the next few days.

km75

Reaction score
Te thing that's using the most battery is the screen, it's at 54%. I turned the brightness down and turned off the auto adjust but the usage didn't go down. I guess I'll just see how ti goes in the next few days.

Believe it or not the higher the display % the better off you are. Usually my display is right around 70% or so depending on what I'm doing on my phone. You have to remember that its 54% out of a total of 100%. You will never see the display at 54% and something else at 54% at the same time. The display and backlights are on the majority of the time. Thus the reason for the high percentage. Now if you see an app or the android os that high then you would have cause to be alarmed.

OP
B

berfles

Reaction score
Ah, ok. The next highest thing was like 7%, it was MediaServer. I've had the phone disconnected for about an hour now and it's still showing fully charged.

turboteal

Reaction score
since im rooted & charged it seems to me that battery life is lower , what do have you seen

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
My X got bad battery life at first, then it got better after awhile...

sent from my ApeX

OP
B

berfles

Reaction score
Right now it's at 80% after about 3h45m... seems a little better already.