First ROM Since Cyanogen to Truly Embrace Open-Source

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
Quietly, a team of 4 Developers/Testers have been working in their labs day and night to produce the first truly open-source ROM since Cyanogen. Without using anything from outside sources this group has managed to re-invent the wheel several times, including the smallest bash shell to date able to be used on the android system, Vixie-Cron for low level task scheduling, Reboot option in the power control menu also allowing for rebooting into recovery, as well as a few other "under the hood" tweaks. The mastermind behind this rom, Austen Dicken(CVPCS), has finally deemed the current version 0.5.0 to be open to public beta. The name of this ROM you ask?

logo.png

Link to the main Sapphire site: start [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki]

While CVPCS was hard at work putting bash into a car crusher. Todd Swindoll (Sniffle), who is well known in the android community for his beginning android compiling guide, has been hard at work on the accompanying site to this ROM. Not only is the ROM site now available, but also there is a wiki available with guides for adding some of these same features to your own "compiled from source" roms including his full original guide in wiki form, Busybox without having to modify source, and Superuser.apk and root while only modifying one source file, with more to come!

Link to generic android wiki site: start [CVPCS Android Wiki]

(quote from CVPCS site)
Special thanks to:
Todd(sniffle): for helping me from the beginning to present on this project, and never tiring of my constant talk over it
Evan(mayh3m): for helping me test EVERYTHING about my ROM, and the continual data/system wipes he no doubt had to endure
Corey(synik4l): for supporting me in this project as well as getting me in touch with many of the android developers
Pete(pete): for answering some of my questions and putting me in touch with several people
Koush: for his willingness to help me with bug fixes, as well as for all of the wonderful work he's done
Cyanogen: for all of his hard work that served as a guide to help me figure out the android build process
Alldroid.org: for graciously offering hosting space for the various files that are available on this site

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Welcome Aboard.....

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Any plans for when 2.2 source is released?

I have heard rumors that 2.2 source will be pushed to AOSP end of june.

I have a script checking hourly that will email me when that happens, haha.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. More goodies!

I see themes are on the way so I'm guessing screenshots aren't far off.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
sniffle first off welcome aboard....I look forward to using and seeing Your work and secondly I called it a while back that You were a Guy to watch. : )

Great to have you here.

Sent from my Droid

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am definitely going to follow this ROM very closely. It has been a while since something like this has come along, and the choice from the two biggest themes the Droid has ever had makes it easier to want to try it.

Downloading it now! :)

Everything seems very fluid and smooth at first glance. Just installed and am restoring all my apps. Going to run it for a while to see how it plays out. Still think I'm going to be an avid user of this ROM!

Last edited:

angler1

Reaction score
Just finished reloading apps. So far pretty smooth. Looking forward to the smoked glass theme though. Still have a lot of tinkering to do. Thanks for the hard work.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
no problem thanks for the feedback, post any bugs or feature requests on the website bug tracker

Will do sniff. I'm sure I can throw a few ideas your way. :p

Out of curiosity, where can we see all that have worked on this? Just wondering who is a part of the developing group for this ROM.

Woops, never mind. Read the rest of the OP this time, lol. Sorry.

Last edited:

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's running smooth. As sniffle said, be sure to post any feature requests or bugs on the site's bug tracker so that I know what I need to work on :)