First mess up after an update

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
My phone took the July security update yesterday afternoon and I didn't realize it until right before heading out to dinner with my motorcycle club. Since I needed my phone for navigation, I skipped the "Restart now to complete..." figuring I'd wait and reboot the phone when I got home later in the evening.

The phone was fine all through dinner. But when I went to leave, I put the phone in the handlebar cradle, connected to my BT helmet headset and started to call my wife to let her know I was on the way home. The call didn't go through, and when I looked down at the phone, it was going thru a continual boot sequence.

Finally got that stopped only to get a "com.android.phone has stopped" error and automatic reboot to a recovery screen where my only options were 1) try again and 2) Factory data reset. Not much trouble shooting was going to happen while actively trying to ride a motorcycle.

When I got home, I was finally able to get into full recovery, but it didn't much good and in the end I was faced with an FDR and subsequent restore from Google Cloud backup.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well that's a bummer. I guess Google really means it when they prompt for "Restart now to complete...".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
My phone took the July security update yesterday afternoon and I didn't realize it until right before heading out to dinner with my motorcycle club. Since I needed my phone for navigation, I skipped the "Restart now to complete..." figuring I'd wait and reboot the phone when I got home later in the evening.

The phone was fine all through dinner. But when I went to leave, I put the phone in the handlebar cradle, connected to my BT helmet headset and started to call my wife to let her know I was on the way home. The call didn't go through, and when I looked down at the phone, it was going thru a continual boot sequence.

Finally got that stopped only to get a "com.android.phone has stopped" error and automatic reboot to a recovery screen where my only options were 1) try again and 2) Factory data reset. Not much trouble shooting was going to happen while actively trying to ride a motorcycle.

When I got home, I was finally able to get into full recovery, but it didn't much good and in the end I was faced with an FDR and subsequent restore from Google Cloud backup.

not good. at least we know know what could happen if updates are not finished in one go.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
As a brand new Pixel 2 XL owner, I will be careful with any future updates. What a bummer for the hassle of an FDR, but at least it got resolved.