First Marketing Ad for the Moto X Smartphone Arriving for July 4th Weekend

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-130702-1of1.jpg

The huge pic you see above is the debut of the first marketing ad for the Motorola X smartphone. The ad focuses heavily on the "made in America theme" as well as the "designed by you" motif we had heard rumors about previously.

Motorola's VP-global brand and product marketing Brian Wallace revealed in an interview, "What we are doing which is very different is assembling [Moto X smartphones] here in the U.S. in our assembly plant in Ft. Worth, Texas. What better time than July 4th to come with a message like that?"

This obviously indicates they plan to launch the device on the U.S. Independence Day. This is obviously meant to create a patriotic vibe around the device, and is fitting since the phone is assembled and built in the United States. Of course, Motorola is also one of the United State's oldest and most innovative technology companies, so it is further fitting. Here's a quote with more of the details about this new advertising launch,

The ad will be run as a full-page spread in the July 3 editions of The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post, Motorola said. It's Motorola's first ad for its upcoming Moto X smartphone, and the copy and timing emphasize the rebranded company's emphasis on freedom.

Behind it was Motorola's new creative agency of record is independent shop Droga5, which won the business without a pitch. Assisting on the creative and strategy for the campaign will be Publicis Groupe's Digitas.

Moto X will be "the first smartphone that you can design yourself," the copy says, which promises that users will be able to design phones as "unique" as their personalities.

"Smartphones are very different than other tech products a consumer owns," Mr. Wallace said. "They're closer to shoes or a watch. You carry it with you everywhere you go. Everyone sees what phone you're carrying and they judge you on it. Yet, it's the one thing you carry that's the least customizable."

Mr. Wallace declined to comment on exactly which Moto X aspects will be available for personalization (and the ad doesn't show the phone), but that its part of injecting what he called a "Googley attitude" into the company's operations and brand image. The emergence on a (literally) colorful new Motorola started last week when the company debuted its new logo last week.

What Google did to change the way people traverse the web with its search engine or to alter how people use email with Gmail, Motorola now wants to do with mobile phones, Mr. Wallace said.

Old-fashioned American patriotism will also be a key aspect to selling the high-end new smartphone. The ad touts Moto X as the "first smartphone designed, engineered and assembled in the USA." Some Moto X components will be created abroad, but final assembly will occur domestically, Mr. Wallace said.

The current tagline for Moto X is "Designed by you. Assembled in the USA." Mr. Wallace said that while that may change as the campaign progresses, subsequent work will be in the same vein. Motorola will not be about "chasing firsts" like other brands, he said, referring to other smartphone companies' touting their smartphones as the first to have certain features.

It's exciting to see the direction Motorola is taking with this. Let's cross our fingers that the actual experience of using the device lives up to the lofty imagery.

Source: Adage

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There are many ways to come at this. I could imagine I'm:

(a) a die-hard, cell-phone-loving red-blooded American
patriotic-android.jpg

(b) a total device nerd who "wants the best phone available"
Android-Nerd.png

or

(c) a recent graduate from an MBA program, with a specialization in marketing
android-management-in-business.jpg

Of course those are not exclusive categories -- one could easily find someone who was all three at the same time -- and there are lots of other hypothetical roles.

And now, the reaction to the new X campaign from each of those imaginary people.

(a) DAMN-STRAIGHT, I'm gonna get me one of them.

(b) Excuse me...what?

(c) Patriotism as the basis for a device campaign? That's a sure fail.

-Matt

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

X I

Eleven

November?

Hmmm... Or...

X, I

Ten, One...

October, 1st?

[/ConspiracyTheory]

squeak

Reaction score
Any possibility that the moto x and the droid ultra are the same phone? the droid ultra is said to be available in "a bunch of colors". My bet is that the ability to design it yourself will end up being watered down and be barely any better than being able to pick a RZR or Maxx in the color of your choice.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Awesome so I can have it my way huh.

Ok ill take a 5 inch quad core device with 2 gigs of ram. Also I would like that battery to be removable please. Let's go ahead and supersize the battery and make it a 3800 mah. Can you wrap that in kevlar and give me a 1080p display with a 13 mp camera. Also Make my bootloader unlocked and lets top that baby off with a little 4.2.

kz9BX.gif

of course vzw will probably have an issue with that.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome so I can have it my way huh.

Ok ill take a 5 inch quad core device with 2 gigs of ram. Also I would like that battery to be removable please. Let's go ahead and supersize the battery and make it a 3800 mah. Can you wrap that in kevlar and give me a 1080p display with a 13 mp camera. Also Make my bootloader unlocked and lets top that baby off with a little 4.2.

kz9BX.gif

of course vzw will probably have an issue with that.

What? No microSD Card slot? Your perfect device was missing a key ingredient. ;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What? No microSD Card slot? Your perfect device was missing a key ingredient. ;)

You are so correct I guess I expected it to come standard since moto have been doing that any way.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Designed, engineered and assembled in the USA."

Does that mean it has direct tracking and listening right to the NSA??

Sorry, couldn't resist. :biggrin:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
well looks like I'll be waiting a little longer before biting the bullet on my upgrade.

Man why do they have to keep info so under wraps, let me know if I should wait or not Moto!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well looks like I'll be waiting a little longer before biting the bullet on my upgrade.

Man why do they have to keep info so under wraps, let me know if I should wait or not Moto!

I dont know about moto. When you wait and wait for them they let you down. I waited for the razr maxx hd excited only to be let down. The one time I finally tell moto that I am done then they release something to make me come back.

[video=youtube;hy3ngqatjoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3ngqatjoc[/video]

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I dont know about moto. When you wait and wait for them they let you down. I waited for the razr maxx hd excited only to be let down. The one time I finally tell moto that I am done then they release something to make me come back.

[video=youtube;hy3ngqatjoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3ngqatjoc[/video]

This is a new moto approach though so it might be worth the wait. Watching a buncha reviews on 3 phones I'm considering isn't making the wait easy though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I think if there was a time and presidency when "Made in USA" was important, it's now. We need to take back this country, and what better way than with a company that was there in a strong and supportive way through the last 80 years of this country's history. I can think of no better company to help by taking the "FIRST" step toward turning this country back around and making US the capital of manufacturing and technology again. Ever wonder why Motorola's cellular radios are touted as being the best...see below in Red;

Starting as Gavlin Manufacturing Corporation, Motorola’s first ever product was a battery eliminator in 1928
The first Police Car radios in the 30s,
the first AM Walkie Talkies in 1940 and first FM two-way radios in 1943 which kept our troops safe and helped win the 2nd World War,
the first FM two-way radios for Taxis in 1944,
the first Car Phones in 1946,
the first commercial high power Transistor in 1955,
the first Solid State Vehicular Two-Way Radio (seen in Police Cars) in 1958,
the first large screen portable cordless television in 1960,
the first words (and data and TV signals), from the Moon in 1969 (spoken over a Motorola transponder),
the world's first Portable Cellular Phone demonstration in 1973,
the first Digital Encryption Technology for Two-Way Radio Networks in 1977,
the world's First Commercial Portable Cellular Phone (the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X in 1983 - I SOLD THESE THEN!!),
the world's first Laser-Scannable Two-Dimensional Barcode in 1991,
the world's First Narrowband Digital Public Safety Radio System in 1991,
the world's First Two-Way Pager in 1995,
the world's First 700 MHz Public Safety Wideband High-Speed Data Field Trial in 2000,
the world's First LTE 700 MHz Data Demonstration in 2008 (that's right, the FIRST LTE DATA!!),
the industry's First Project 25 Interoperability Gateways,
the first U.S. Statewide Broadband LTE Public Safety Network in 2011.

[video=youtube;jFZJC7uunRg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jFZJC7uunRg[/video]