First App To Use Samsung's New Ad Block API Already Banned From Play Store

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A few days ago Samsung announced that they would be adding support for Ad Blocking addons through their official web browser. Of course it didn't take long for developers to jump at this opportunity releasing ad blocking apps utilizing this API. One of the first apps to do so has already been removed from the Play Store.

The app "Adblock Fast" was swiftly removed from the Play Store without warning. Instead the developer of the app "Brian Kennish" said he received a human written email letting him know his app had been removed instead.

The email reads as follows:

Hi Developers at Rocketship Apps,
I reviewed Adblock Fast, com.rocketshipapps.adblockfast, and found that it violates section 4.4 of the Developer Distribution Agreement. This particular app has been disabled as a policy strike.
Just as a reminder, you’ve agreed to follow the Google Play Developer Program Policies and additional enforcement could occur if there are further policy issues with your apps.
If you’ve reviewed the policies and feel this rejection may have been in error, please reach out to our policy support team. One of my colleagues will get back to you within 2 business days.
I appreciate your support of Google Play!
Best,
[Redacted]
Google Play Review Team
The email mentions a violation of section 4.4 of the Developer Distribution Agreement which basically prohibits developers from developing apps that interfere with other apps. Adblock Fast doesn't really interfere with the Samsung Browser since Samsung specifically built APIs to allow this sort of app. So the app isn't really disrupting the Samsung Browser. Is Google upset because the app threatens their ad income or do they genuinely just want apps to operate completely separate from one another?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Most of ad blocking apps are available to sideload anyways so it really isn't hurting those folks that prefer their Android experience Adfree.

S5 tap'n

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A few of the commentators i've seen on other sites think it is because it does actually interfere with the way other apps work as it is not a browser itself, but if they were to create a web browser with this included in the browser itself that it would be fine. While this may be a Samsung API, it doesn't negate the rules of the Google Play Store. But as stated, it doesn't stop people from Side-Loading apps that do ad blocking without being a browser itself.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few of the commentators i've seen on other sites think it is because it does actually interfere with the way other apps work as it is not a browser itself, but if they were to create a web browser with this included in the browser itself that it would be fine. While this may be a Samsung API, it doesn't negate the rules of the Google Play Store. But as stated, it doesn't stop people from Side-Loading apps that do ad blocking without being a browser itself.
Samsung could always allow it on their app store if they don't already. No Play Store or side load needed. I doubt Amazon would allow it on theirs because they live for ads.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><