Fingerprint locking

zudien

Reaction score
I was all with you and completely in agreement until the very last sentence. I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't pick up physical input". By definition, touching the screen is physical input.

My post (before I read yours) was going to say that it would probably be possible for the screen to read a fingerprint if the resolution on the capacitive detection was much, much higher.

An analog that may be possible with the current hardware would be to create a multi-touch lock app that requires the user to touch with multiple fingers simultaneously in the same pattern each time. Ideally, you wouldn't have to touch in the same PLACE each time, just maintain the pattern (relative spacing of your fingers) regardless of the orientation. (if that makes sense to anyone).

This would be a pretty secure locking method, however it might be a bit tedious to use.

By physical input I mean that the screen does not change shape based on what you touch. A resistive screen for instance has a film over that when you press on it, it deforms registering where the top film made contact with the bottom film. I think with a VERY sensative (more than likely impractical) resistive screen it could be possible (and a coding nightmare since resistive multi touch is more of a hack than a feature).

The point I was making is that with a capacitive touch screen not only would you have to turn the sensing resolution all the way (these things go to 11!) you would also need to turn the capcitive sensativity way down to a point where only a firm pressure would sense to keep it from continuing to detect the valley's because they give off the same electrostatic change. To test this I placed a piece of paper between my droid and my finger and it still continued to pick up my finger even though I wasn't making direct contact (press firmly).

Anyways, I think the current locking is awesome. A simple pattern. The way I remember the pattern is I assign a number to each and use the use the pattern grid as a keypad. Locking a consumer mobile device is simply a deterrent and than a security measure. I would prefer something intuitive and simple and not going to hog resources just to get to the phone.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I was all with you and completely in agreement until the very last sentence. I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't pick up physical input". By definition, touching the screen is physical input.

My post (before I read yours) was going to say that it would probably be possible for the screen to read a fingerprint if the resolution on the capacitive detection was much, much higher.

An analog that may be possible with the current hardware would be to create a multi-touch lock app that requires the user to touch with multiple fingers simultaneously in the same pattern each time. Ideally, you wouldn't have to touch in the same PLACE each time, just maintain the pattern (relative spacing of your fingers) regardless of the orientation. (if that makes sense to anyone).

This would be a pretty secure locking method, however it might be a bit tedious to use.

By physical input I mean that the screen does not change shape based on what you touch. A resistive screen for instance has a film over that when you press on it, it deforms registering where the top film made contact with the bottom film. I think with a VERY sensative (more than likely impractical) resistive screen it could be possible (and a coding nightmare since resistive multi touch is more of a hack than a feature).

The point I was making is that with a capacitive touch screen not only would you have to turn the sensing resolution all the way (these things go to 11!) you would also need to turn the capcitive sensativity way down to a point where only a firm pressure would sense to keep it from continuing to detect the valley's because they give off the same electrostatic change. To test this I placed a piece of paper between my droid and my finger and it still continued to pick up my finger even though I wasn't making direct contact (press firmly).

Anyways, I think the current locking is awesome. A simple pattern. The way I remember the pattern is I assign a number to each and use the use the pattern grid as a keypad. Locking a consumer mobile device is simply a deterrent and than a security measure. I would prefer something intuitive and simple and not going to hog resources just to get to the phone.

I had a feeling that is what you were referring to when you said physical input. Got it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
zudien, you're dead on, but in reference to your ridges and valleys vs. electrostatic scanning (capacitive screens), I don't see how the capactiance, at any resolution, would be fine enough to detect the slightest variations found in fingerprints.

talk about a coding nightmare, if the resolution was able to be kicked up so fine that it did detect the variations, you would have to code each button and hotspot on the screen to be an area. multitouch would take on a whole new meaning. and with the variance of the "uniqueness" of fingerprints, you would fight a constant uphill battle trying to accomodate for each variance!!!

MY HEAD SWOONS WITH THE POSSIBILITIES!!!!

at any rate, fingerprint readers on every device is a specialized imaging sensor, just like the ones found in a normal flatbed scanner. and to make things worse, fingerprint reading is not even that secure of a method. students have fooled readers with jell-o molds of their own hands.

if you want your phone to be secure, find an app that will remotely wipe and lock the device should it ever be lost.

micp1480

Reaction score
Ok, I too thought this was impossible until my daughter came over this weekend to stay with me, and she showed me her IPod Touch program with finger print security to get on. Who is laughing now. It does exist for the ipod touch, and I have assume for the iphone as well.

MICP 1480

Mr Steve

Reaction score
Anyways, I think the current locking is awesome. A simple pattern. The way I remember the pattern is I assign a number to each and use the use the pattern grid as a keypad.

Nice tip! Basically assigning a PIN would work.

Ok, I too thought this was impossible until my daughter came over this weekend to stay with me, and she showed me her IPod Touch program with finger print security to get on. Who is laughing now. It does exist for the ipod touch, and I have assume for the iphone as well.

MICP 1480

Yeah, I've got that for my Touch, too.

It doesn't read your fingerprint. It depends on which portion of the screen is touched by the non-scanned hand as to if the 'scan' is passed or failed. Hold the top right corner - fail, top left - pass.

Silver Member
Reaction score

MICP 1480
stop spreading misinformation...

Apple - Web apps - Finger Scan

Kordansk

Reaction score
It would be nice if instead of the fingerprint reader, just a more accurate version of the unlocking pattern app that didn't require dots. So you can draw the same pattern but it doesn't necessarily need to follow the same dot pattern.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It would be nice if instead of the fingerprint reader, just a more accurate version of the unlocking pattern app that didn't require dots. So you can draw the same pattern but it doesn't necessarily need to follow the same dot pattern.

So you would have to make the same pattern everytime with nothing to guide you?

And people are locking themselves out with the dots.....

Kordansk

Reaction score

So you would have to make the same pattern everytime with nothing to guide you?

And people are locking themselves out with the dots.....

No, the point is that it wouldn't have to match up with dots. Like if you were to draw the infinity symbol, you can't do it because the app doesn't support curves, or a circle, if you were to draw it CW or CCW, it wouldn't matter, it would still register. I am not saying it would have to match perfectly as long as the design is drawn, regardless of scale when completed, it still matched the symbol to unlock.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

MICP 1480
registers a touch, not the actual finger print. mis-information.

micp1480

Reaction score
640K take a chill pill. I am neither Droid, IPod Touch or IPhone savvy as you. I was just stating what I thought was an app that actually did read your fingerprint. After all, we do have a program like Shazam that can tell what song is playing, and computers that use fingerprint technology to unlock a computer, I do know they have this. Every day I check this forum and every day there are new programs being developed, and I truly believed that this was possible, and that I just didn't get up out of bed and decided it would be a great day to BS everyone on this forum. I guess what I am saying here, I want to be like you, a "MASTER DROID".

MICP 1480