FINALLY upgraded this old Bionic to KitKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Courtesy of the CyanogenMod Team and CyanogenMod 11. Now running the equivalent of Android 4.4.4. So far, so good (but it's still early yet).
Another holdout for perhaps one of the greatest phones ever made but one that really didn't get its fair share of love from the manufacturer or carriers. In very pleased that there are still developers, including Cyanogen working to keep that device alive. I hope it works great for you and you get at least another year or two out of it.

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
any faster?

Faster? No... software ALWAYS gets bigger and more "feature laden" (ie: bloated). But there are a ton more new features. Just be aware that KitKat is considerably larger than Gingerbread, ICS or JB, so allocate a larger partition in Safestrap to hold it. I gave the "System" 900Mb, and the Data portion 2.4Gb. That seems to be "just enough" to hold all of the apps I ran prior to the upgrade.

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
Rumor has it Lollipop is SUPPOSED to be smaller, so that it can be installed on older devices. We'll see when CM12 comes out if that is true or not, I guess.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Just wondering, does anyone else running KitKat on a Bionic via CM 11 have issues with WiFi dropping? I've tried several builds and it always drops after 10 minutes or so. I can connect again by cycling airplane mode, but then it will drop again. It's not my daily driver anymore (have a Droid Maxx) but I do like to use it as a docked clock/weather display in the kitchen. Not being able to maintain WiFi kills the weather of course. Thanks for any info!

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
Just wondering, does anyone else running KitKat on a Bionic via CM 11 have issues with WiFi dropping? I've tried several builds and it always drops after 10 minutes or so. I can connect again by cycling airplane mode, but then it will drop again. It's not my daily driver anymore (have a Droid Maxx) but I do like to use it as a docked clock/weather display in the kitchen. Not being able to maintain WiFi kills the weather of course. Thanks for any info!

When I'm home I have my Bionic on wireless in the bedside docking station all night and it never drops the WiFi connection, so I don't think it is an issue with the build. I did notice that CM11 takes up a LOT more space on the device than any of the previous builds, so I had to delete the partition I created for CM10 and create a much larger one, then reinstalled everything from scratch. The only thing I have issues with is the sound disappearing. Getting it back is as simple as making (or receiving) a phone call, but I have no idea why it loses sound in the interim.