Finally some clear steps on saving a location in Google Nav

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Google maps navigation on the droid never ceases to amaze me.
Everyday i learn something new.

Recently i've been trying to save my current location and couldn't figure out how. Droid people have the best GPS on earth and most of us, including me, don't know how to use it to it's full potential.

HOW TO SAVE A CURRENT LOCATION-
1. in google maps find your current location (menu> my location)
2. press and let go (i have an icon of my head to represent my location)
3. this action should bring up the standard black background nav menu (with options to navigate etc...)
4. The address of your current position should be at the top beside a star
5. click on star till it fills in.
6. go back to the map
7. click on menu
8. click on more
9. click on starred items

YOUR LOCATIONS WILL BE HERE
Enjoy.

BTW, it is easy to navigate to a contact- we all know how to do it. This info is for those of us who want to save a location but not as a contact to come back to.

Last edited:

BLS

Reaction score
Google maps navigation on the droid never ceases to amaze me.
Everyday i learn something new.

Recently i've been trying to save my current location and couldn't figure out how. Droid people have the best GPS on earth and most of us, including me, don't know how to use it to it's full potential.

HOW TO SAVE A CURRENT LOCATION-
1. in google maps find your current location (menu> my location)
2. press and let go (i have an icon of my head to represent my location)
3. this action should bring up the standard black background nav menu (with options to navigate etc...)
4. The address of your current position should be at the top beside a star
5. click on star till it fills in.
6. go back to the map
7. click on menu
8. click on more
9. click on starred items

YOUR LOCATIONS WILL BE HERE
Enjoy.

BTW, it is easy to navigate to a contact- we all know how to do it. This info is for those of us who want to save a location but not as a contact to come back to.

Rock solid advice!! thanks man!

Tomoid

Reaction score
I would like to see a screen capture of the icon of your head to represent your location. :biggrin:

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
I would like to see a screen capture of the icon of your head to represent your location. :biggrin:

if you choose:
menu>lattitude

i think it lets you choose it even if you don't JOIN LATTITUDE

i don't think you want to join lattitude because gnav reports your location somehow.

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Cool... didnt know you could do that

i think if you do the lattitude thing gnav becomes linked to your google accounts and uses your google avatar for nav.

after doing the lattitude thing gnav began using my gmail avatar for nav.

jakenovak

Reaction score
This info is for those of us who want to save a location but not as a contact to come back to.

Has anyone figured out how to save a custom route, and not just a location, yet? I can think of a few places in the US where this would come in handy...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This info is for those of us who want to save a location but not as a contact to come back to.

Has anyone figured out how to save a custom route, and not just a location, yet? I can think of a few places in the US where this would come in handy...

My Maps (in the market)? That may just do landmarks...not sure.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
If you can tell me how to re-name my starred items to something I can remeber when I want to go back to them, you wil be my hero

ruinah

Reaction score
is there a way to take a bunch of addresses and then save them to the phone somehow? Like in google maps online could I put in addresses like "home" or "work" and then get them to the phone without having to input them on the phone itself?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
is there a way to take a bunch of addresses and then save them to the phone somehow? Like in google maps online could I put in addresses like "home" or "work" and then get them to the phone without having to input them on the phone itself?

Make sure you are logged on to your Google account and saving any address online automatically saves to your phone. Even if you search an address online, the address will pop up with just the first number or two keyed on your phone, without ever saving online

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
O.P. - thanks for the information. Exactly what I was looking for!

Tabs

Reaction score
This doesn't work for me, as soon as I go into Menu/More/Starred Items the items disappear and it tells me to log in to maps.google.com. Any idea why?