Finally found a good ROM for the A855!

NeoJerk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid MAXX stock 4.4.4
Twitter
@neojerk
The Motorola Droid 1 (D1, OG Droid, A855, sholes) was my first android phone, and I am currently on my second after my first became stuck in Airplane Mode forever. I have had a Samsung Continuum (terrible) and a Droid X (decent) in between, but this D1 is up and running now when my DX is not. I am writing this because I feel like I wasted a great deal of time muddling through posts, trying ROM after ROM, only to lose functionality of a key component such as camera, GPS, etc. Having started out on FroYo and fairly quickly losing development support from Verizon, I tried many GB, ICS, and even JB ROMS, each lacking a fundamental function inevitably leading me back to an old stock GB. After literally years of searching, I found exactly what I needed in chevycam94’s Steel Droid 11. The only issue I have is that sometimes my 3G data will go out and the status bar icon will show grey instead of blue, but a simple reboot and/or turning mobile data off then back on fixes it every time. I had SOOOO many issues with other ROMs through this process that I just wanted to put this out there in hopes that I may save someone time and frustration in the future.

There are plenty of different builds on the post, But you can find it here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/st...roid-12-30-2013-resurrecting-gingerbread.html

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
The Motorola Droid 1 (D1, OG Droid, A855, sholes) was my first android phone, and I am currently on my second after my first became stuck in Airplane Mode forever. I have had a Samsung Continuum (terrible) and a Droid X (decent) in between, but this D1 is up and running now when my DX is not. I am writing this because I feel like I wasted a great deal of time muddling through posts, trying ROM after ROM, only to lose functionality of a key component such as camera, GPS, etc. Having started out on FroYo and fairly quickly losing development support from Verizon, I tried many GB, ICS, and even JB ROMS, each lacking a fundamental function inevitably leading me back to an old stock GB. After literally years of searching, I found exactly what I needed in chevycam94’s Steel Droid 11. The only issue I have is that sometimes my 3G data will go out and the status bar icon will show grey instead of blue, but a simple reboot and/or turning mobile data off then back on fixes it every time. I had SOOOO many issues with other ROMs through this process that I just wanted to put this out there in hopes that I may save someone time and frustration in the future.

There are plenty of different builds on the post, But you can find it here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/st...roid-12-30-2013-resurrecting-gingerbread.html

Wi-Fi is broken (12 pre13). Nice ROM otherwise.
11 is not as nice looking as 12 pre13)
Flashed P3Droid kernel (LV 250-1100) and 12 pre13 worked.

Last edited:

perezil

Reaction score
Wi-Fi is broken (12 pre13). Nice ROM otherwise.
11 is not as nice looking as 12 pre13)
Flashed P3Droid kernel (LV 250-1100) and 12 pre13 worked.

I can verify that installing another Kernel will fix the issue. I just installed ChevyNo.1's ChevyNo1-1.2Ghz-lowV-7slot-update.zip and was able to get WiFi to work.

That being said, maybe the problem isn't the Kernel itself, but somehow how Wi-Fi is linked to it, and reinstalling a Kernel is fixing the link?

OP
NeoJerk

NeoJerk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid MAXX stock 4.4.4
Twitter
@neojerk
No wifi issues per se, I actually saw an improvement in strength (it may be that the previous one just sucked that much), although I do find my 3G is slow to come back after a phone call. All in all, still satisfied.