File Structure

azbutch

Reaction score
O.K. I've searched several places for an answer to this. If this is not the right forum, please redirect me.
I have had my Incredible for a couple of months and I am fairly PC literate. However, I am completely confused with the Incredible's file structure. When I plug it in to my PC via USB I get two new drives showing up (normally I and j). I assumed one was my phone files and the other my SD card (though for the following reason I am not sure which one is which). Neither drives file structure comes anywhere close to what I see on the phone when I use Astro. It doesn't matter if I hit {Home} or hit {SDcard}. Some of the folder names are the same, but even then the contents are not or are not there (when looking at Astro), but show up on the PC file.
Appreciate any help.

djlowery

Reaction score
When i'm connected to the PC my drives are E and F, E is the SD card and F is the phone. try downloading a picture from an email or video clip, after it downloads and you get the paper clip click on it. if offers you the chance to open or save to sd card. save it and then go look and see which drive it appears on. should answer your question.

criDikal

Reaction score
You should be able to tell the difference by the drive sizes. If you have a 8GB SD card, it's corresponding drive in Windows is going to be roughly 8GB.

I'm not sure what you see differently file structure wise...do you have enable hidden files turned on in Windows Explorer? What if you do a "dir /o:g" from the command prompt?

OP
A

azbutch

Reaction score
Thank you all for taking the time to help. The drive size idea was the solution since my SD card is a different size (duh! why didn't I think of that???)
In that process I solved several of my problems.
However, I still don't understand why some things default to my phone instead of the SD.....like MP3 files. Wouldn't it seem logical to put that on the SD.....but my player doesn't have the ability to look at the SD.
Anyway, don't bother with the imponderables. I just wanted to say thanks.
azbutch

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
Just a side note, astro defaults the sdcard as the "home" button, you have to hit the folder up from the sdcard page in order to get to the level where the phone's storage would be.