File Managers

pyro6128

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting root explorer so I can change my build.prop file so I can run google earth. But i realized i have a couple of file managers that i was told to download for different reasons. I have
Astro
AndExplorer
Linda Manager

and then I will be downloading root explorer. Are all of these necessary, or is there one that will do the work of all? I want google earth, but am running BB 7.5 and am hesitant to upgrade it. There seem to be problems sprinkled about with the new BBs, but 7.5 is running super fast and is rock solid for me, so I think editing the build.prop would be the more practical way

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just grabbed Root Explorer. You can use Terminal Emulator if you want to manually edit the file. You need to change the read.write permissions, then edit the file with VI (a unix/linux text editor) then change the permissions back. These steps are not impossible but Root Explorer made it VERY easy.

If you do not know the VI editor it does come with a learning curve. You'd want to grab a cheat sheet for the commands within it by searching the web. Doable, but not point and click by any means.

I also have ASTRO. I haven't needed any other editors yet. I have a systools folder where I toss all those sorts of things into. Astro might have let you edit the file, but wouldn't have let you change the permissions around.

I'm on SG 4.5..btw and needed to do this too for Google Earth

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting root explorer so I can change my build.prop file so I can run google earth. But i realized i have a couple of file managers that i was told to download for different reasons. I have
Astro
AndExplorer
Linda Manager

and then I will be downloading root explorer. Are all of these necessary, or is there one that will do the work of all? I want google earth, but am running BB 7.5 and am hesitant to upgrade it. There seem to be problems sprinkled about with the new BBs, but 7.5 is running super fast and is rock solid for me, so I think editing the build.prop would be the more practical way
I have Root Explorer and Astro. No particular reason but I prefer RE.

Like you, I'm running 7.5 of BB. I'm OC to 1000MHz and I've not had one problem. I'm not into the live wallpapers so I'm hesitant to switch, also.

Mike

OP
pyro6128

pyro6128

Reaction score
yea I'm tempted to try the new roms, but I have this one set up perfect with my own custom icons and all. 7.5 really is perfectly stable for me, never had one issue, and its super fast. The newer ones seem to get churned out so fast it has me hesitant to try them. I don't want to then have to go back to 7.5 and find that something isn't working like it used to. Guess I'll just take the root explorer plunge.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
yea I'm tempted to try the new roms, but I have this one set up perfect with my own custom icons and all. 7.5 really is perfectly stable for me, never had one issue, and its super fast. The newer ones seem to get churned out so fast it has me hesitant to try them. I don't want to then have to go back to 7.5 and find that something isn't working like it used to. Guess I'll just take the root explorer plunge.

Try it for 24 hrs and if you don't like it return. FYI just read this thread (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/24402-bugless-beast-v1-0-now-out-8.html) so I won't be changing just yet.

Mike