File Management App question

Jeepers

Reaction score
Newbie here as well........ Have been reading here quite a bit lately and have learned ALOT.

My question is - I notice that quite a few here use ASTRO File Manager - the one by Metago - Is this a good - and fairly easy - app for file management for a newbie - easy to use with out too many glitches??

TYIA :)

pyro6128

Reaction score
Astro is fantastic, one of the best file managers you can get.

rusray

Reaction score
Astro is the only one I have used and I love it. One thing I just realized about it last night was the ability to select and move multiple files at once. I'm still used to the BB system where you can only move one file at a time. I took 10 files I saved from SaveMMS and moved them into a more appropriate folder.

I highly recommend Astro as a file manager!

Also: Welcome to the forums :)

OP
J

Jeepers

Reaction score
Thank you for your rapid resonses - appreciated - ok - so got it- now just have to learn how to use it

xliderider

Reaction score
Not only is it a great file manager, it also allows you to backup your apps. Open Astro, scroll through the icons at the top menu bar to Prefs at the far right. Scroll down to Home Screen Icons. Check off App Mgr. This will place an icon on your screen, that when you open it will show all your apps. From there, you can check off your apps then choose Backup at the top and all your apps will be backed up to your sd card. Astro will show you which apps aren't backed up in red, handy for when you have updated some apps, you can easily see which ones need to be backed up.

You can reinstall apps from the Backed up Apps button in Astro from the sd card.

This is great for when you download an updated app from the Marketplace and you are unsure whether you want to update an app that, for you, is working great already. Now you can download the update and try it out. If the update is cr@p, then you can uninstall the updated app, go to Astro and reinstall the backed up old version that you loved.

Astro doesn't back up all apps though, some show up as Private. Titanium Backup will back up those apps nicely. In Addition, Titanium Backup will backup your user settings in those apps as well. It is great for frequent rom switching. ;)

mills

Reaction score
FILE GO is much better than Astro, actually, so is OI file manager. Astro is not the best, it was just one of the first.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
FILE GO is much better than Astro, actually, so is OI file manager. Astro is not the best, it was just one of the first.

I'll give Filego a shot. Although Astro may not be the best, it's probably used by the majority as I see Astro in instructions on installing APKs not in the Market.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Better is always subjective. Care you share what you mean by better? How are they better than Astro?