Fascinate vs Droid X

snakesnake449

Reaction score
Hey guys. new to the forum but not at all new to android. i have a question. which is better, the Droid X or the Samsung Fascinate? i have played with both and the fascinate is a more manageable size but im not sure if i could live with Bing. is it possible to install Google Search and Google Maps (along with Google Navigation)?

also, how easy is it to root and install custom roms, since i heard it is really hard on the droid x i was unsure about the fascinate.

Thanks

fluidj

Reaction score
Bing is simply a non-issue. Yes to all off your questions. Just know that we do NOT have froyo yet and there is no official release date for it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Chuck931

Reaction score
It's not even a comparison,100% DX period. And if Verizon supported it would be Nexus S.

Sent from my DROIDX using Wikileaks

IamGov

Reaction score
Owned Droid X, twice. Hands down Fascinate. Smoother platform than X. All around great device. Battery life is good. Just remember no Froyo, and the keyboard a little smaller. Phone is durable. Sound quality is slightly less than x, but not bad by all means. Yes it has some issues, but nothing that cannot be fixed via apps. One click root, one click lag fix, not many roms, but really don't need one.

KazuoX

Reaction score
Hey guys. new to the forum but not at all new to android. i have a question. which is better, the Droid X or the Samsung Fascinate? i have played with both and the fascinate is a more manageable size but im not sure if i could live with Bing. is it possible to install Google Search and Google Maps (along with Google Navigation)?

also, how easy is it to root and install custom roms, since i heard it is really hard on the droid x i was unsure about the fascinate.

Thanks

I'm in the same situation. I was originally waiting for the HTC Merge, but now that it's been delayed, I still need to take advantage of Verizon's special ($10 off a month for the length of the contract - $240). Needless to say, I've been to the Verizon store many times.

I also played with both the Droid X and the Fascinate and liked the Fascinate much better. It seems much smoother and that screen is just too sexy to pass up, so I think I'm decided in getting the Fascinate.

Fascinate gets my vote. You can bookmark google search on your home screen and use google maps, although i've heard the GPS issues are hit-or-miss depending on your phone.

Good luck with your decision.

garywojdan81

Reaction score
I was in the same boat when the fascinate first came out. I went went with the fascinate primarily for the hardware advantages & form factor & don't regret it. Easy to root, easy to de-bing (even the hard button), easy to fine tune thru dialer menus & fasterfix or gps booster address the lock-time issues.

tannor

Reaction score
Just curious find texting just as easy on the fascinate compared to droid x? or droid x because of bigger screen bigger keyboard?

I was testing today and found it just would not pick up right when using swype, but then again I am new to swype so could be doing it wrong.

Also how do you consider web browsing compared to driod x? about same? Fascinate faster?

I tried both in store and kind of hard to tell, they both seem to load roughly same time give or take.

IamGov

Reaction score
The x was easier, slightly, to type on. I do not use swype, I like the virtual keyboard better.

I like the web browsing on the fascinate. I believe you made a comment on CNN earlier. That is a Java rich page with a lot of flash. The 2.2 browser on the x will run that better, but an aftermarket browser like skyfire or dolphin will do the job just as good.

Sent via my Fascinate on the Droidforums app.
Owned D1, Incred, X, D2, and the Fascinate is the best.

tannor

Reaction score
The x was easier, slightly, to type on. I do not use swype, I like the virtual keyboard better.

I like the web browsing on the fascinate. I believe you made a comment on CNN earlier. That is a Java rich page with a lot of flash. The 2.2 browser on the x will run that better, but an aftermarket browser like skyfire or dolphin will do the job just as good.

Hmm I never tried dolphin i need to download it on the test phones and check it out! Thanks for info

tannor

Reaction score
oh btw i noticed screen burn in at the store demo, it look like about charging and plug in, my guess is from leaving it charge all night.

Has anyone else had this happened to them? I want to prevent it, any ideas how to prevent screen burn in? especailly when charging overnight? any other recommendations. It such a nice screen would hate to see that

KazuoX

Reaction score
oh btw i noticed screen burn in at the store demo, it look like about charging and plug in, my guess is from leaving it charge all night.

Has anyone else had this happened to them? I want to prevent it, any ideas how to prevent screen burn in? especailly when charging overnight? any other recommendations. It such a nice screen would hate to see that

I looked into this issue because I really don't want to have this happen to my future Fascinate, but this is what I found.

The screen probably has the potential to burn when left charging overnight because of the "fully charged" popup. Supposedly, this is on by default.

But, you can set it to turn off 30 seconds after appearing by: Home Screen touch>Settings>Applications>Development> and uncheck "Stay Awake"

If by some chance this doesn't work, you can also supposedly hit the "airplane mode" widget and it will not display the green "charging" battery while charging. You also won't get phone calls overnight.

tannor

Reaction score

I looked into this issue because I really don't want to have this happen to my future Fascinate, but this is what I found.

The screen probably has the potential to burn when left charging overnight because of the "fully charged" popup. Supposedly, this is on by default.

But, you can set it to turn off 30 seconds after appearing by: Home Screen touch>Settings>Applications>Development> and uncheck "Stay Awake"

If by some chance this doesn't work, you can also supposedly hit the "airplane mode" widget and it will not display the green "charging" battery while charging. You also won't get phone calls overnight.

Great thanks!

cking6178

Reaction score

My vote is Fascinate....I love the swype feature, it's convenient and quick...except when it comes to words w/double letters, haven't quite mastered that yet..

Dugall12

Reaction score
Droid X all the way
It has Swype
3 mics, noise cancellation and subject recording
HDMI
Launcher Pro is Butter on it, Moto Blur sucks ass.
Metal Construction
GOOGLE
Charging port is on the side instead of on top, which is just silly to me.
Plus 8 mega pixel vs. 5 which look better on the PC

The only thing fascinate has over X is the screen but now that I read that burn in is a issue no thanks. X all the way.