Fascinate in Late summer/Early Fall?

smilepak

Reaction score
One thing about history, verizon nerf the original samsung omni a compared to the gsm release. So, I hope they don't do the same with fascinate.

tallnerd1985

Reaction score
One thing about history, verizon nerf the original samsung omni a compared to the gsm release. So, I hope they don't do the same with fascinate.

Software wise, Verizon did cripple it pretty bad but on the Hardware end, that was all Samsung on that part. But as of lately, I really dont see too many issues with Verizon crippling phones, Motorola is doing a good job all on their own of screwing their phones up.

I know the Pro is still speculation and is a possibility it may not come out at all. But I like the 4.3 size screen. But the Samsung Fascinate sounds good also. But if the specs of the Droid Pro are correct. I think this sounds like a more advanced and better phone.
What do you guys think?

The Verizon roadmap was released and it stated that the Droid Pro will be released some time on November with a 1.3 ghz processor and 4 inch screen. I need to wait and see if the Pro will come with Gingerbread or not, what the software is like, how the phone feels, ect. before i decide. Right now the fascinate looks great with the super amoled screen and it also has a 4 inch touch screen. The hummingbird processor is also supposedly better than the omap. I very well might get the fascinate.

Hardware wise, the hummingbird has the best graphics capability compared to the Snapdragon Adreno or the Omap PowerVR chip but the processing capability is the slowest of the three. All in all, as time goes on, more apps are relying on graphics speed, not really CPU speed anymore from what I've seen in the market.

N

nanllyn

Droid Pro or Samsung Fascinate

Well I'm a little dissappointed to hear that the pro might only be 4" instead of 4.3. That was one of the draws for me was the large screen. I know this is still all speculation on the Pro but I hope 4.3 and I had hear 8GB on board to 2GB for the facinate. The other thing I've heard is Moto is so much better about not locking down their phones and they give updates quickly (although I"m still waiting for 2.2 for my D1) than Samsung is. So if Samsung doesn't lock their down and gives free/quick updates, then that may be my next phone. Wish it had more onboard memory and a slightly bigger screen but maybe 4 will be enough. It just that my droid has 3.7 so 4.0 is very little added real estate.
Just my two cents.

Bateluer

Reaction score
Bear in mind that the Verizon version will be M$-ified with Bing search and maps. They may not be removable until after the phone is rooted. (If it is able to be rooted.) At this point, the speculation is that you will be able to use google search and maps and "hide" Bing and whatever other VZW bloatware they stuff onto the phone.

When this phone releases, I am going to look closely at it and at the X and decide what I really want to buy. Either way, my husband is gonna shoot me for spending more $$ on a phone, much less one that I "don't need".

I believe all the Samsung Galaxy S phones have been rooted already. And to my knowledge, they all have open boot loaders. There's a CM spin in work for the Vibrant right now.

smilepak

Reaction score
Given what is known, the samsung is the best option for me at least.... Droid 2 is not a big diff from droid 1.

Droid x is too big. Samsung with 4" is just right. Plus amoled is nicer than TFT

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Given what is known, the samsung is the best option for me at least.... Droid 2 is not a big diff from droid 1.

Droid x is too big. Samsung with 4" is just right. Plus amoled is nicer than TFT

I agree. Super Amoled screens look SOOOOO much better than tft screens. 4" is beginning to be the sweet spot for phones i think.

txpayne

Reaction score

I agree. Super Amoled screens look SOOOOO much better than tft screens. 4" is beginning to be the sweet spot for phones i think.

I have been waiting for the Fascinate just because of the Super Amoled. The droid X is just a little to long for my liking. SHOW ME THE PHONE!!!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hardware wise, the hummingbird has the best graphics capability compared to the Snapdragon Adreno or the Omap PowerVR chip but the processing capability is the slowest of the three. All in all, as time goes on, more apps are relying on graphics speed, not really CPU speed anymore from what I've seen in the market.

The Hummingbird uses a Power VR chip too, its just the latest and best version: the 540. The Droid, Droid 2 and X uses the 530. The one in the X (and maybe the Droid 2) is clocked higher, so it performs a lil better than the one in the Droid.

It gets confusing cuz the Hummingbird is the name for the whole system on a chip (SoC), same for the Snapdragon. The OMAP...it doesnt have a name like the other 2. It uses the name of the cpu.

I wont even mention the Adreno.....lol The Snapdragon needs to upgrade their gpu chip for the next version of the Snapdragon.

And it was discovered its not the slowest cpu. It has a lag/stall issue that slows it down:

http://androidandme.com/2010/07/news/droid-x-vs-galaxy-s-and-more-with-quadrant-professional/

Read the I/O part of the test. And look at the cpu part of the test. Will Samsung issue an official fix for that I/O issue, who knows. Folks at MoDaCo found a fix/hack, but u need to be rooted to use it.

And I agree 4" is the sweet spot. I'm happy with the X size, but I feel 4" will lure more ppl in that want to try something bigger than the Droid and Inc.

Now...some things I want on my X that the Samsung phones have:

That gpu, the TV Out, TouchWiz, I heard the audio on the Samsung phones are amazing.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
The Fascinate is really looking great right now. I looked at the captivate and the screen is AMAZING!!It made my droid look like crap. It can be easily rooted, overclocked, and custom ROMS are coming. Plus the UI isnt that different from stock android if you use launcherpro. I hope Verizon releases it soon..-.-

lonzom10

Reaction score
This new addition to the road-map is a real bummer! Seriously... a release date 3-4 months after every other carrier has successfully launched the phone. What a shame!

n0yxl

Reaction score

I agree with that whole statement. The screen is awesome. I cant wait!

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I just looked at the AT&T Captivate and wow.. It was amazing. From the screen to the software and hardware..Everything was perfect. There was absolutely NO lag even with an intense wallpaper running. If none of the Droids get better screens im going to have to go with the Fascinate. I just wish Verizon would have released it already..

BluMustang

Reaction score
Ive been debating for months about what phone to get when my contract is up in a week. At first it was he Incredible, then Droid X, but i Love the Fascinate. I wish it had an 8MP camera but besides that this thing has everything I could want. The best screen, great graphics, the fastest phone once the lag is taken care of, gyroscope, perfect size, no keyboard etc. Even with only 5MP, the graphics processor seems to make this camera look better than the 8MP X. The only way I can see it being matched is if the rumored Droid Sick/Pro has LTE and is without a keyboard.

Hopefully Verizon starts their pre-orders sooner rather than later - either way I will wait the extra month to get this phone.