False notification sounds after ICS upgrade

OP
B

bkirk22

Reaction score
Thanks MunkieNub. I'll give the reset a try sometime this week. Please let us know if it comes back.

computerfixer412

Reaction score
I believe I have the answer!! Partially

Ok, how many of you experiencing this problem are using a regular mail account using the "email" app? Not gmail.

Of those using the regular mail, how many are using a Yahoo account?
I could not delete my Yahoo mail account as it continued to say "invalid credentials" which is ridiculous.
I used Titanium Backup to freeze both the email app and authenticator and the notifications went away completely!

I could care less about the Yahoo account personally.

So now if someone would be willing to look into why this is happening, that wood be helpful.

OP
B

bkirk22

Reaction score
I don't use the email app, but I set it up for gmail when I initially set up the phone. I disabled the email app today, so maybe that will make a difference. I'll try a factory reset if it doesn't. Thanks for the info.

kadidle

Reaction score
Ok, how many of you experiencing this problem are using a regular mail account using the "email" app? Not gmail.

Of those using the regular mail, how many are using a Yahoo account?
I could not delete my Yahoo mail account as it continued to say "invalid credentials" which is ridiculous.
I used Titanium Backup to freeze both the email app and authenticator and the notifications went away completely!

I could care less about the Yahoo account personally.

So now if someone would be willing to look into why this is happening, that wood be helpful.

Funny you mention this because before my ICS upgrade my email accounts wouldnt work using the onboard email app (I had an aol email account setup through it). So for a while I said fu*k it!... then the ICS upgrade came around (Had no clue about the upgrade as I was happy with the phone the way it was and wasnt into seeing what the latest software was). So I figured they must of fixed the app and got the bugs worked out... NOPE. Still did not work. I took my phone to verizon and the bi*ch told me that all she could do is a factory reset and that might fix it. I said screw it for now. Then recently as mentioned on my first post I started having these annoying notifications and green light. BTW I have figured out that it ONLY happens when im connected via wifi, but it will do it randomly. Also I always have the "select input method" in the top left corner. This is definitely a bug problem with the software... anyone contacted verizon or motorola? Sounds like the factory reset is not a fix...

computerfixer412

Reaction score
Disabling the app alone will NOT do it!

You must freeze the "e-mail authenticator" it's separate than the gmail one.
You will most likely need root access and a program like Titanium Backup.

OP
B

bkirk22

Reaction score
I disabled the email app four days ago and haven't had any false notifications. Maybe this is premature, but I had them every evening before I tried this.

The email app was set up for gmail. I went into applications and then did a "force stop" and "clear data." I don't understand it, but so far so good.

OP
B

bkirk22

Reaction score
Two weeks and no false notifications. I can now say with certainty it worked.

hannzo24

Reaction score
Two weeks and no false notifications. I can now say with certainty it worked.

I'm having the false notification problem as well. Can use titanium to backup all my apps and settings if I'm not rooted? I'm thinking I want to do a factory reset as well since I'm having issues other than the false notifications.

gallagher118

Reaction score
Droid razor here, same basic issue. I've tried killing the mail apps, and that seemed to help.

But I still get hit as 3g/4g kick in. I found a way to disable 4g, but I still get hit by the 3g.

Debating trying to return phone. It's almost unusable at work because it'll constantly go off, which forces me to put it in silent. That just doesn't cut it for me.

Has there been any progress of this issue, this is the only thread I could find. Thanks.

OP
B

bkirk22

Reaction score
I've still had no false notifications since I disabled the mail app. I've never had any notifications with 3G or 4G. There has to be a solution in the settings somewhere. I'll think on it a bit.

gallagher118

Reaction score
Well I got an update to 4.1.2, and it actually got worse.
Then I went through all this again, and now it is fixed. Summary:
1) kill email app, flush out it's cache.
2) remove your account from the email app. (i couldn't do this without step 1)
3) good to go.