Factory reset questions

srvctec

Reaction score
I've done a search on the forums and internet and didn't see much info about this.

I am contemplating a factory reset to resolve some minor issues with my phone. It's bone stock and has never been rooted, and never will be. I've installed 70-80 apps and uninstalled some I didn't want. I'm new to Android with my DX2 purchased on 6/20/11. So far I'm loving it, but not sure what exactly a factory reset (Menu>Settings>Privacy settings>Factory Data Reset) will do to my phone and what I need to do/reinstall after a factory reset. Apparently there is a popup or something that will ask if I want to erase internal storage. DX2 Factory Reset

1. Should one do a factory reset every once in a while to keep things running smooth?

2. Will I need to reinstall all the apps I've downloaded and installed up until this point?

3. Should I format internal storage as well? Or is this part of the factory reset- the erase function?

4. Will my phone be back to the Android 2.2.2 that came on it? If so, I'm thinking the very first thing I should do after the factory reset should be to install 2.3.3 back on it, correct?

5. Do I also have to re-activate the phone and go through that whole process?

6. Is there a way to backup all my phone settings so I won't have to figure out all of that over again? I did see under Settings>Privacy Settings there is Back up my data, which says "Back up application data, Wi-Fi passwords, and other settings to Google servers", but what exactly are "other settings" and where is this info stored?

Sorry so long winded, I'm just trying to weigh whether this is going to be worth it in the end depending on what all I have to do after a factory reset, never having done one before.

Insidious

Reaction score
There are a few apps that backup your apps. If you root your phone and download the app titanium backup you can backup all apps and system data so when you flash a rom or factory reset or sbf you just reroot, download the app and restore it. Idk if that helps

Sent from my now completely stock DROID2 Global :(

OP
srvctec

srvctec

Reaction score
There are a few apps that backup your apps. If you root your phone and download the app titanium backup you can backup all apps and system data so when you flash a rom or factory reset or sbf you just reroot, download the app and restore it. Idk if that helps

Sent from my now completely stock DROID2 Global :(

Not sure if you even read my post. :rolleyes: As stated in it "It's bone stock and has never been rooted, and never will be." Not going to root my phone, just want to know the details relating to a factory reset as stated in my post. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
srvctec

srvctec

Reaction score
WOW. So nobody that has factory reset their phone knows what happens or cares to fill in the details and answer a few questions for someone that has never done it?

Typed on my DX2, most likely in landscape mode.

kooshie

Reaction score
A factory reset bring your phone back to the state it was in when purchased with exception if the os, you will still have gingerbread. Gingerbread will back up some of your apps but not all of them. You will need to reactivate your phone after the factory reset.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
srvctec

srvctec

Reaction score
Thanks, kooshie. Does anyone know about formatting the internal storage (question #3 in my op)? I'm not sure if that is where the os stores data or if it's just for the app data. If it's just for apps, then I would lose all apps and settings for them if I format internal storage. If it's for the os, then wouldn't that put me back to Froyo? Maybe I should have started another thread for this question.

kooshie

Reaction score
Hmm, that's one I'm not sure about, my husband has the X2 but since its so new and hasn't had any issues I have not done a reset on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
I've done a search on the forums and internet and didn't see much info about this.

I am contemplating a factory reset to resolve some minor issues with my phone. It's bone stock and has never been rooted, and never will be. I've installed 70-80 apps and uninstalled some I didn't want. I'm new to Android with my DX2 purchased on 6/20/11. So far I'm loving it, but not sure what exactly a factory reset (Menu>Settings>Privacy settings>Factory Data Reset) will do to my phone and what I need to do/reinstall after a factory reset. Apparently there is a popup or something that will ask if I want to erase internal storage. DX2 Factory Reset

1. Should one do a factory reset every once in a while to keep things running smooth?

2. Will I need to reinstall all the apps I've downloaded and installed up until this point?

3. Should I format internal storage as well? Or is this part of the factory reset- the erase function?

4. Will my phone be back to the Android 2.2.2 that came on it? If so, I'm thinking the very first thing I should do after the factory reset should be to install 2.3.3 back on it, correct?

5. Do I also have to re-activate the phone and go through that whole process?

6. Is there a way to backup all my phone settings so I won't have to figure out all of that over again? I did see under Settings>Privacy Settings there is Back up my data, which says "Back up application data, Wi-Fi passwords, and other settings to Google servers", but what exactly are "other settings" and where is this info stored?

Sorry so long winded, I'm just trying to weigh whether this is going to be worth it in the end depending on what all I have to do after a factory reset, never having done one before.

By the numbers.

1. People will tell you both ways. IMHO don't fix it if it isn't broken.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. Yes.

4. You phone will be what ever Version you are currently running. If you are 2.3.3 then it will be 2.3.3 afterwords. It will just be as if you pulled it out of the box like that. New DX2 will soon ship with 2.3.3.

5. Phone will probably activated but you have to relogin to Google.

6. Most of that requires root. Titanium backup helps. But Google will backup your contacts and gmail.

OP
srvctec

srvctec

Reaction score
Thanks nlinecomputers! Exactly what I was looking for- point by point answers to my questions.

I've had a few issues with texts I send not sending and a few random reboots since I got GB. I'm thinking a factory reset and reinstalling only the apps I really want/need will do wonders, hopefully. Hate having to do this, but I've spent a couple of hours backing up things on my own as well as screenshots of home screens/apps so I can refer to them after I do the reset.

Typed on my DX2, most likely in landscape mode.

EVSP

Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing but nervous about doing it due to the same concerns you had, srvctec.. Did you do the factory reset? What results did you get? Was it worth it? Did you have to reactivate your phone? (By reactivate, I assume you meant service reactivation through Verizon or whoever your phone service is through).

My phone isn't the same model as you have (I have the OG Droid) but it's tremmmmmendously slow now and I've never rooted and don't plan to, either... I've been browsing the threads and your questions seemed to hit the nail on the head for what I was looking to get answered...

Let me know how it turned out for you, please! :D

OP
srvctec

srvctec

Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing but nervous about doing it due to the same concerns you had, srvctec.. Did you do the factory reset? What results did you get? Was it worth it? Did you have to reactivate your phone? (By reactivate, I assume you meant service reactivation through Verizon or whoever your phone service is through).

My phone isn't the same model as you have (I have the OG Droid) but it's tremmmmmendously slow now and I've never rooted and don't plan to, either... I've been browsing the threads and your questions seemed to hit the nail on the head for what I was looking to get answered...

Let me know how it turned out for you, please! :D

Actually nlinecomputers hit the nail on the head. Everything was just as he said. I did a factory reset on mine and reinstalled all the apps and set up my phone the way it was before. It took me about 5 or 6 hours to get my phone set up with all the apps I wanted and all settings of those apps just the way I wanted, BUT I'm anal about stuff like that- everything has to be just so. I did have to reactivate my phone, but it just took a few seconds through *228 option #1.

It was worth it. To tell you the truth, right now, I can't even remember what the minor issues were that were nagging me. Phone has been great since the factory reset.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my DROID X2