Factory reset, or?

NNA528

Reaction score
I've searched & I may be missing where or if there's a way to do this but...

I would like to completely wipe my x and start over now that I got a feel for it and a setup in mind. What I'm not sure of is how to do it or where I'm going wrong ... I've tried factory reset a few times but I keep getting the previously installed apps put back onto my phone... maybe its being backed up and restored through market, or google, I don't know, but I tried to go to the market and unistall everything, also to the manage apps and uninstall everything - also doing this and syncing thinking maybe it will save latest changes with what's on my phone- but they still get put back on... Is there any solution to this? I'm not sure what to do...

Edit: I'm talking about apps I've put on it, not the VZ unremovable crap apps

C

cdexsw

If you wish to clear all settings from your Droid X, you can perform a hard reset on the device. A hard reset is normally used when you are selling your phone and need to clear the data or if you wish to start anew.

1. Turn the phone off.
2. Hold the Power and Home buttons down for about 5 seconds.
3. A screen with an exclamation will appear. Tap the Search key.
4. Scroll down to factory reset using the Volume Down button.
5. Confirm the selection.
6. Select Yes — delete all user data then tap OK.

The Droid X will then complete the hard reset.

hope this helps, have a great weekend :)

OP
N

NNA528

Reaction score
Ok just did this as you explained and it all went accordingly... apparently it seems my apps are backed up somewhere cause they came back :/ Gah this is aggrivating.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok just did this... apparently it seems my apps are backed up somewhere cause they came back :/ Gah this is aggrivating.

Your paid apps are backed up by The Market. I mean would you rather they weren't and you had to pay for them again?

I'll bet all your apps aren't coming back. Usually when I do a factory data reset, I don't do it that way. I just go to settings/privacy/factory data reset and do it like that. I don't know what the difference is between that and a "hard" reset.

After you do it go into the Market and stop the apps from loading. They will be in your download section.

OP
N

NNA528

Reaction score
I don't have any paid apps, just ones I've tried, isn't that many but annoying because it don't seem like it should be this hard to purge them. Haven't had the phone long but even still I didn't go 'download app crazy' just tried a handful and now that I know what I want to keep I'd just like to get rid of what I don't, is all.

That's how I initially was doing my reset, through the settings/privacy ... did it at least 3 times now + this hard reset method. So yeah, it's practically like 6-8 apps that are the only things I'm trying to get rid of.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have any paid apps, just ones I've tried, isn't that many but annoying because it don't seem like it should be this hard to purge them. Haven't had the phone long but even still I didn't go 'download app crazy' just tried a handful and now that I know what I want to keep I'd just like to get rid of what I don't, is all.

That's how I initially was doing my reset, through the settings/privacy ... did it at least 3 times now + this hard reset method. So yeah, it's practically like 6-8 apps that are the only things I'm trying to get rid of.

Well, go to the Market/downloads and delete the apps. They really shouldn't be coming back if they are free apps. Are you sure you got them from the Market and they didn't come with your Droid?

OP
N

NNA528

Reaction score
Yeah I'm positive, I went to the market and tap+held on them and clicked uninstall, it says it is and shows it down twds the bottom of the list w/ option to install, which ok that's cool. But yeah I'm sure a few examples are "Awesome Drop", "Astro File manager", "SMS Popup", and "MP3 ringtone maker".

Edit: Ok like once I factory reset (either method above) One of the the icons I have in my top bar says "Applications restored"... I wish I could find the source or turn it off or something for now.

Something I didn't try was uninstalling from appbrain, so trying that now and doing a hard reset.

Last edited:
C

cdexsw

are you on a froyo 2.2 rom? if so you apps maybe on your sdcard in a folder " .android_secure ". apps that are able to be installed to sdcard get installed there. that maybe what is happening. there is no way to see the apps in that folder though. but i bet that is what is happening.

OP
N

NNA528

Reaction score
Yeah I am.. bought it that way. I did look in the sdcard and delete some things.. also went into appbrain and uninstalled that way, too. Not sure which one made it work but after I did that I did a hard reset and didn't set up any accts with the initial setup, then went in and made sure the apps wasn't still there, they weren't so I proceeded to try and add accounts.. anddd they still haven't came back, so... one of the 2 things I did beforehand worked. Thanks for your help though I appreciate it. :)

Now on to figuring out how I want to set it up right this time. :)

Last edited:

Karlac

Reaction score
I've searched & I may be missing where or if there's a way to do this but...

I would like to completely wipe my x and start over now that I got a feel for it and a setup in mind. What I'm not sure of is how to do it or where I'm going wrong ... I've tried factory reset a few times but I keep getting the previously installed apps put back onto my phone...

Follow these steps precisely and see if that helps:

Bingo! I finally figured out how to get things straight in my Droid X 2.2 update - Android Forums