Factory Reset not erasing internal storage

scaryuncledevin

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all. When running a factory reset, upon reboot I find that none of my files have actually been erased. My settings and apps are all gone, as they should be, but things like my pictures, alarms, and music, all still remain. I'm okay with actually deleting the files off the phone via a file browser, but I'm wondering why they aren't being erased as the system claims.

If it makes much of a difference, I reset my phone which was running the original stock OS and had been rooted. After finding my files still on there, I flash Peter Alfonso's Stock Rooted Rom -
ICL53F (
Toro - Downloads), and have factory reset under that rom twice, also with no luck at a full erase.

I'm going through Settings > Backup & Reset > Factory data reset > Reset Phone > Erase Everything. It reboots up to the android with the open chest/hologram animation, reboots again about a minute later, and when all is said and done, my files are still all there. Am I doing something wrong?

OP
scaryuncledevin

scaryuncledevin

Reaction score
Okay I know it's only been a couple minutes, but I think it's actually restoring them from the cloud. After resetting again, I opened up the internal storage on my PC and watched as it was slowly repopulated with all my files. I thought that letting my phone back up to the cloud would only actually save simple things like app setting, but my entire internal storage? It's even including my mods folder, which is where I drop things I flash.

dankwizzydorf

Reaction score
Factory resets should erase everything on your phone except the internal SD card slot. This sounds like exactly what you are experiencing. Factory resets don't format SD cards, which still applies to the nexus, even though our "SD card" is part of the internal memory in our phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

doublea500

Reaction score
Factory resets should erase everything on your phone except the internal SD card slot. This sounds like exactly what you are experiencing. Factory resets don't format SD cards, which still applies to the nexus, even though our "SD card" is part of the internal memory in our phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

This is correct and sounds like the problem your having. if you do want to erase everything on the phone then do a factory reset.