factory reset/ hard reset help

captnawesome

Reaction score
friend just got a new phone and gave me his old rooted moto droid. I am trying to factory reset/hard reset but it won't allow me to do either. When I try to factory reset it will power down, but when I turn it on again nothing was erased. When I try to hard reset, the screen just stays on the motorola logo and doesn't take me to the "yellow triangle". If anyone has any ideas on whats going on it be much appreciated.

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
captnawesome said:
I was hoping that you might be able to help me. My friend recently gave me his Droid 1, which has been rooted. I was trying to hard reset/ factory reset so I can take his gmail account off and switch it to mine. The hard reset doesn't seem to work. When I press the "x" button and the power button I only get as far as the Motorola Logo. It seems to freeze right there. I've held it down for about 1min but nothing comes up. I tried to factory reset, but that doesn't seem to work either. It will power down the phone, but when i turn it back on nothing has been reset. Do you have any ideas on why it won't let me reset? I'm not too familiar with droid phones so I don't know much, but does it have to do with the fact that it is rooted? Any help would be much appreciated. Apologize for such a long message.

This is an odd one, that if you use the phone's menu system to perform a factory data reset as posted above that your phone just shuts off. And your other symptom sounds like your recovery is borked. Real quick, just for kicks before we go further, go on your phone's menu system like this:

Code:
menu -> settings -> about phone

and tell us what the last six or seven lines say, just for future reference.

Now to more of the meat, see if the phone has rom manager on it, if not, get the free version from the market. Once it's installed, open it and there should be a pop up window about super user permissions. Make sure the "remember" box is checked BEFORE you check the allow box. Then open the menu and go to settings and make sure "Advanced Mode" is checked. Then after you back out to the main rom manager screen scroll to near the bottom and select "flash alternate recovery". Once that's done, go back to the top and hit flash clockworkmod recovery. Then see if that fixes your problem.

Oh and BTW, the fact that your phone is rooted in and of itself is not the reason you can't do the factory data reset, I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the rom your friend left one it.

So, if you still have troubles, please make sure you also answer the question I asked above and also don't be shy about any of the little details, just like you did in that pm.

good luck

OP
C

captnawesome

Reaction score
I installed the rom manager and followed your instructions. When I go to check the "advanced mode" it says its only available for premium users. The "flash alternate recovery" option is dimmed and I am unable to click it. Is this portion necessary? Can I just just click "flash clockworkmod recovery"?

Model number: Droid
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: C_01.3E.01P
Kernel Version:
2.6.32.9-g103d848
android-build@apa26 #1
Build number: FRF84B

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe so. The version you have will only access CM. If you want to access other Roms, I believe you need to purchase the premium version.

OP
C

captnawesome

Reaction score
I did the flash alternate recovery and then the flash clockworkmod recovery. I tried to do the factory reset, but that still didn't work. I did have success with the hard reset. So thanks teddyearp for your help. hopefully I won't run into anymore problems.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Glad you got it to work. If you run into any more problems feel free to post and/or pm me and I can either help via pm or do as I did this time for maximum exposure for you.

BTW, FRF84B is like the very first Froyo, I bet you have one of Pete's roms on your phone. In fact, from the symptoms I have suspected that from the beginning. Can you now boot into a custom recovery?