Facebook Pictures not updating Contact photos

Reaction score
So, I always get the "Social Networking" updates that my Facebook friends have updated their profile pictures, however, the pictures never update in my Contacts listing even though they are linked.... any ideas on how to get this fixed?

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Sorry to answer my own question, but I found a post on the VZW forums by a Customer Service rep telling someone to remove their Facebook account from the phone, then re-add it. I did that, but it is mildly annoying to have to re-link all the contacts back up.

If anyone knows of a simpler way that doesn't destroy all the links, please feel free to respond.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
My thought is to go into manage apps then clear data. Re rign in to fb then make sure you have the middle option set for sync with contacts. Also check your update interval times. I don't know of any other reason. Mine did that too but I found that I clicked on the wrong sync options. I hope this helps.

the5barrons

Reaction score
I asked the question too. I don't believe there is a quick or easy fix for it. Let's just say that whatever is responsible for linking the FB contact pics with FB itself...sucks. I could really care less personally, but if it's supposed to update, I'd like it to.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
My thought is to go into manage apps then clear data. Re rign in to fb then make sure you have the middle option set for sync with contacts. Also check your update interval times. I don't know of any other reason. Mine did that too but I found that I clicked on the wrong sync options. I hope this helps.

That's the FB Application, not the Native Facebook Account setting (Settings>Accounts>Facebook on the phone). The FB App is not installed on my phone and does not have any relation to the Contacts on your phone.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

That's the FB Application, not the Native Facebook Account setting (Settings>Accounts>Facebook on the phone). The FB App is not installed on my phone and does not have any relation to the Contacts on your phone.

Ah. I apologize. I read it incorrectly. Thanks worldofjohnboy.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Let's just say that whatever is responsible for linking the FB contact pics with FB itself...sucks.

+1

I kind of like it when someone calls me, it uses the Facebook picture for caller ID. I don't understand why the Social Networking widget will say "Jane Doe changed their profile picture" yet the person's picture doesn't change. This happened to me on both 2.1 and now on 2.2

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
+1 with sync my pix, works fine and you can set it to auto update pics

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
+1 with sync my pix, works fine and you can set it to auto update pics

-1 with sync my pix... It only syncs the friends that are both in my phone contacts and on facebook as my friends. I just want the Facebook app to work as it should and update profile pictures properly.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
OK, so I found a way that works without having to blow away your Facebook account, but it's still a pain and requires you have multiple Social Network accounts setup. To do so:

-Go to: Settings>Accounts
-Click the Menu button (left most "hard" button on the DX)
-Press "Picture Source"
-Provided you have MySpace or a Twitter account setup (or both), click on one of them, then press OK.
-Hit the Menu button>Picture Source again.
-Press on your Facebook Account.

It will take a few minutes to update, but this seems to work and you no longer have to re-link all your "dual" contacts up. I really hope that Motorola a/o Verizon adresses this issue in a future OS update.

comedyboy

Reaction score
I asked the question too. I don't believe there is a quick or easy fix for it. Let's just say that whatever is responsible for linking the FB contact pics with FB itself...sucks. I could really care less personally, but if it's supposed to update, I'd like it to.

I think you mean you COULDN'T care less, not you COULD care less. That said, it's a Froyo update glitch.

Rosepetal

Reaction score
ok I have a driod 2 and I am having the same problem when someone in my facebook changes their profile picture it doesn't update on my phone. Other than uninstalling facebook and reinstalling is there another fix? I don't have a twitter or other account to click on and change that as my picture source and go back to facebook and change it so it will update.

blakscribe

Reaction score
Just installed and ran SyncMyPix and it works like a charm. It does seem like picture syncing should be a native feature, though. Good thing "there's an app for that."
dancedroid

the5barrons

Reaction score
I tried it too but for some reason it only would do 35 of my 500+ friends. It said it could find the others. I wonder if that just means the pics are up to date?

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp