Facebook Is Working On A Video App For Set Top Boxes.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
facebook.jpg

This is welcome news. The other day I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out a way to hack a roku to get Facebook Live streaming on a TV for an event. I could not make it work and after giving myself a migraine I realized that Facebook simply doesn't support Live on Tv's. There just wasn't a way to make it work. I was able to get videos from facebook to load, just not live videos.

Facebook is reportedly working on an app for set top boxes that would bring a video first approach. Facebook will of course be working to get Facebook Live working on streaming devices, but is also interested in bringing long form TV content to TV's as well. This might eventually be another monthly streaming bill for you to add along with your Netflix and Amazon Prime services.

via Wallstreetjournal

R

RETG

I can guarantee it will NEVER be a streaming bill for me. I have never and I will never, join Facebook. Something about broadcasting my life over the internet is about as appealing as moving to Damascus.:D I'll stick with Netflix and an occasional Amazon movie.:)

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Idk why these companies try to jump into these markets that are already full enough. I've got Amazon Prime Video that I almost never used and Netflix that my stepson uses more than the wife and I, but that I definitely feel is worth the price.

On Twitter, Hulu shows keep following me, trying to entice me to join back up with that service, I'm sure. Idk. As much as the stepson loves his shows on Netflix, maybe it's worth revisiting the cord-cutting idea. Is there anywhere to check to see what shows/channels Hulu provides? Last time I was thinking about giving them another try, there wasn't an easy way to see if the majority of shows I enjoy would be on the service.

The wife and I still do DVR quite a few shows that we watch together and separately, many of which are on cable channels that I don't think support Hulu, so it might be a wash if we want to keep up. We do like several shows on the "regular" networks as well though...

In any case, I'm not interested in what Facebook's got. Hulu's got some shows with folks whose work I enjoy very much, so they might tempt me that way, but Facebook has enough data on me without knowing what I watch in the privacy of my own home without sharing with the world.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I decided to cut the cord.. Just ordered an Android TV Box..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
We've got an android TV and a couple Chromecasts, plus the Xbox One and 360. Plenty of devices to cut the cord. It's all about the content for me at this point. That's the sticking point and I think it will always be, without paying for multiple services. Gotta have my HBO shows, so that's another fee...