Facebook Getting Into a New Game: Launching Their Own App Store Called 'App Center'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
facebook-appstore-app-center.png

Well, with their new IPO looming, it would seem that Facebook is making strides to diversify a bit more. They recently announced that they are starting their own app store. The Facebook app store will be called, "The App Center," and will be launched within a few weeks. Here's a quote from the company,

“The App Center is designed to grow mobile apps that use Facebook – whether they’re on iOS, Android or the mobile web. From the mobile App Center, users can browse apps that are compatible with their device, and if a mobile app requires installation, they will be sent to download the app from the App Store or Google Play.”

This seems almost like an "aha moment." It makes you wonder why no-one thought of that before, especially considering that Facebook has over 900 Million users. That's almost a billion potential customers that you already are servicing. It seems like a no-brainer...

Source: Facebook Dev Blog

meishkov

Reaction score
Maybe they're scrambling to diversify their "services" since they realize they're on the decline. Trying to get that IPO done as quickly as possible, before somethin new comes along to snag up some market share. Wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if they crash sooner rather than later. Don't get me wrong, communicating with people you know and don't know is important, but now that everybody realizes how they make all of their money basically, people r wanting out. They realized they're basically for picture n news sharing now, which is why they felt the immediate need to buyout instagram. Seeing news like this article shows that they really aren't focused on the right aspects of their company. Too busy thinking about how the hell to cash in all of their users' info, of which their users willfully built an astronomical sized mountain of data, before it becomes useless and outdated information. This is what the baboons on wall street have been waiting for. They're all in the same sick twisted game together. Lucky us.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I still don't understand the point of all of these app stores, such as Amazon, for android. What is the point in having a bunch of different places to buy and download apps that are already available in the built-in android market that's already on your phone?!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great...the only company more serious about data-mining than Google wants more access to me...

I'll pass.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It will definitely help people to get all those apps that they didn't even know they need. Can't blame other companies for jumping on board. Guess we'll see how well it does.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I still don't understand the point of all of these app stores, such as Amazon, for android. What is the point in having a bunch of different places to buy and download apps that are already available in the built-in android market that's already on your phone?!

You forget that the Google Play market is only available in some parts of the world. There are other areas that need secondary markets to get apps. Facebook and Amazon allow those users in those areas to use the same market.