Facebook account sync with contacts

sportsyco2

Reaction score
When I go to sync accounts and then add an account, I can not add my Facebook account to sync. Every other account will work, but when I click on Facebook it does nothing. Is there any other way that I can get my Facebook to sync with my contacts on my phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
There are issues syncing with the Facebook app. You have to use something like Friend Caster or some other apps from the market.

Sent From a Tear in the Space/Time Continuum...

thesoldier

Reaction score
As JSM said, you need an app like friend caster, syncmypix, hax sync....

I believe some ROMs have fb sync built in.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yeah all the 4.0.3 ROMs I have tried work as far as syncing goes. Not sure if it is because of the devs or a fix in the newer version though.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah all the 4.0.3 ROMs I have tried work as far as syncing goes. Not sure if it is because of the devs or a fix in the newer version though.

Devs have added it in. Google won't allow Facebook to sync contacts anymore because of the way they were using the data. Its a big fight going on between the two right now.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the info rebel :)

OP
S

sportsyco2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. Sucks that they are having they fight though.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Thanks for all the information. Sucks that they are having they fight though.

No problem. Friend Caster works pretty well in the mean time, I haven't tried the others though.

Google disables contact sync in Facebook for Android, but only Nexus S for now -- Engadget

some more info on it. So it could be a pretty easy fix but Facebook is not willing to change as of now. Kind of a petty little argument, IMO.

Thanks again. And I agree it does seem petty.

kristinz84

Reaction score
Devs have added it in. Google won't allow Facebook to sync contacts anymore because of the way they were using the data. Its a big fight going on between the two right now.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Yup, that's what the Samsung guy told me too! They are in a lawsuit against eachother. Bad timing :/

ksaul

Reaction score
I couldn't figure this out either and posted a thread almost identical to this @
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=190329

Summery is:
- Use haxsyc for a paid options (light weight and only for facebook syncing)
- Use friendcaster for a free option (more of a facebook app replacement though)
- Or root your phone and find a ROM with a facebook sync built in.

zero7404

Reaction score
i just bumped into this issue. apparently facebook and google dont like eachother on this topic ....

i dont like the idea of handing off my facebook account info to a 3rd party for syncing contacts .... but then again is that any better than facebook itself ? ... probably not

in the meantime i was looking around for a script for stock rooted 4.0.4 that i can add to the phone to get the contacts to sync.

i used this solution for my dX running cm9 4.0.4, but im not sure if it works on the stock rooted nexus running 4.0.4 since its not an AOKP rom ...

http://niranjanthilak.com/facebook-sync-for-android-ics-devices/

anyone try it out ?

mattv111

Reaction score
i just bumped into this issue. apparently facebook and google dont like eachother on this topic ....

i dont like the idea of handing off my facebook account info to a 3rd party for syncing contacts .... but then again is that any better than facebook itself ? ... probably not

in the meantime i was looking around for a script for stock rooted 4.0.4 that i can add to the phone to get the contacts to sync.

i used this solution for my dX running cm9 4.0.4, but im not sure if it works on the stock rooted nexus running 4.0.4 since its not an AOKP rom ...

http://niranjanthilak.com/facebook-sync-for-android-ics-devices/

anyone try it out ?

Use haxsync from the market. It works great

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zero7404

Reaction score
does anyone know how to modify the ContactsProvider.apk for contacts sync ?