External Storage vs SD Card

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
So this didnt bother me until I ran an RUU and lost all my Titanium backups a minute ago, along with who knows what else...

The internal storage on the Rezound is located at /mnt/sdcard whereas the SD card is located at /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd -- This is a change from the OG and D2 I'm intimately familiar with.

This means that apps that like to save out to the SD card (Titanium, JustPictures) arent actually saving to the SD card, they're saving to the internal storage of the phone, which is vulnerable to loss when an RUU or bootloader unlock takes place.

Anyone know how to fix this? And by fix it, I mean making the SD card the primary storage location, so it's less susceptible to loss when I play around with a ROM? I have a 64gb SD card, and I'm perfectly happy making the internal storage completely unusable, or is there an app that can run in the background and mirror the internal storage out to the SD card?

PatG

Reaction score
Along those lines I also had a question. When I hook up my Rezound to my Windows 7 PC it sees two external drives, Removable Disk and HTC Storage. Which one is the internal memory and which one is the SD Card. I used Syncr to download a bunch of music from Itunes to the Droid to HTC Storage. I have a feeling that's the internal drive. If so, I will try to move it.

hatchna

Reaction score
So this didnt bother me until I ran an RUU and lost all my Titanium backups a minute ago, along with who knows what else...

The internal storage on the Rezound is located at /mnt/sdcard whereas the SD card is located at /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd -- This is a change from the OG and D2 I'm intimately familiar with.

This means that apps that like to save out to the SD card (Titanium, JustPictures) arent actually saving to the SD card, they're saving to the internal storage of the phone, which is vulnerable to loss when an RUU or bootloader unlock takes place.

Anyone know how to fix this? And by fix it, I mean making the SD card the primary storage location, so it's less susceptible to loss when I play around with a ROM? I have a 64gb SD card, and I'm perfectly happy making the internal storage completely unusable, or is there an app that can run in the background and mirror the internal storage out to the SD card?

I haven't tried this personally, but you can look at this. It may be what you're looking for.

SD mount swap! - xda-developers

I have just been changing the backup path for Titanium Backup so that it backs up to the external sd card. that thread actually goes over swapping mount points. Again YMMV. I haven't tried this.

hatchna

Reaction score
Along those lines I also had a question. When I hook up my Rezound to my Windows 7 PC it sees two external drives, Removable Disk and HTC Storage. Which one is the internal memory and which one is the SD Card. I used Syncr to download a bunch of music from Itunes to the Droid to HTC Storage. I have a feeling that's the internal drive. If so, I will try to move it.

HTC Storage is the internal memory. Removable Disk is the actual micro sd card.

OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've looked into some of the mount swaps, and none of them seem solid enough for me.

I guess I'll just make a habit of copying everything over before I do anything rash -- making my original post more of a gripe than anything else.

Thanks again.

PatG

Reaction score
Do programs recognize external vs. internal memory on the phone? Since some apps must be installed on internal memory I would think so.