Extended and regular battery

cwoms167

Reaction score
If I keep switching between my extended battery and my regular battery will I ruin my battery or phone? I only wanna use the extended battery when I absolutely need it and just use the regular battery any other time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jayrod718

Reaction score
I would also like to know this. and... should I only charge the extended battery once it's drained or is it ok to plug in every night?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I keep switching between my extended battery and my regular battery will I ruin my battery or phone? I only wanna use the extended battery when I absolutely need it and just use the regular battery any other time.

As long as the Bionic is off you shouldn't have a problem with changing batteries.

I would also like to know this. and... should I only charge the extended battery once it's drained or is it ok to plug in every night?

While it's good to let it drain the battery at the beginning, you should be able to charge it every night with no problems. Heck, the dock is designed for you do do that.

J_Fedd

Reaction score
Lithium ion batteries don't need to be fully discharged before charging (battery memory doesn't apply to LI batteries). In fact, if you want to get the longest life out of any LI batteries, they should be charged when they get to about 75%.

Here are some tips to prolong the life of LI batteries: http://osxreality.com/2009/07/18/4-tips-to-extend-your-lithium-battery-life/

82DMC12

Reaction score
I ordered the extended battery and should see it next week. Does the phone recognize that this is a different battery and start creating an alternate battery stats record? I'm concerned that if I swap batteries every couple of days between the standard and the extended that will screw up the stats and neither battery will perform properly.

Would it be best to just choose a battery and use it all the time unless I have no choice but to swap batteries due to no opportunity to charge?

J_Fedd

Reaction score
Does the phone recognize that this is a different battery and start creating an alternate battery stats record? I'm concerned that if I swap batteries every couple of days between the standard and the extended that will screw up the stats and neither battery will perform properly.

I'm assuming that most Android phones would recognize and adjust stats based on the battery used, but if you're paranoid and have root access, you can try this app to recalibrate: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I ordered the extended battery and should see it next week. Does the phone recognize that this is a different battery and start creating an alternate battery stats record? I'm concerned that if I swap batteries every couple of days between the standard and the extended that will screw up the stats and neither battery will perform properly.

Would it be best to just choose a battery and use it all the time unless I have no choice but to swap batteries due to no opportunity to charge?

I don't know about the Bionic, but the OG Droid didn't. I had to use the Battery Left app with mv. That's what I doing now.

As for your second question; on my OG Droid I just kept the extended battery in at all times. I did have an external charger so I could swap out the battery (which I carried) if needed. Fortunately I didn't need to.

82DMC12

Reaction score
I don't know about the Bionic, but the OG Droid didn't. I had to use the Battery Left app with mv. That's what I doing now.

As for your second question; on my OG Droid I just kept the extended battery in at all times. I did have an external charger so I could swap out the battery (which I carried) if needed. Fortunately I didn't need to.

Would circle battery widget work Just as well to give an accurate reading?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Would circle battery widget work Just as well to give an accurate reading?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Its accurate for me