Experiences using Swappa?

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
I've heard people speak of Swappa on other forums before, I've just never tried it until now. Just wondering what kind of experiences others may have had using the site. Hope my experience is a good one. Guess we'll see when I get it.

Verizon store wanted $499 for new Droid Turbo, found a new one still in box on Swappa for $389.
Good luck to me huh.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jorayr97

Reaction score
I have bought 2 phones off Swappa with no issues. The first was an S4 and the second was a Note 3. I based both of my purchases off feedback and the number of previous sales the seller had. I'm looking at a Note 4 now from Swappa.

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
Yea, I was looking at the feed back from a couple of people. I did end up purchasing from a guy with no feedback, he has been signed up for a year or so and seems to have sold and bought a couple of times. Crossing my fingers

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have not used Swappa, but do know that many of our members and staff have. I do not recall any issues being posted. Good luck with your new toy.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I bought my wife's old Moto X off of swappa and had no issues. It should be safe.

on the move..

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Bought a Droid MAXX and Moto X off Swappa. The staff is helpful and I feel it's safer than fleabay.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
bought my grand mother's iphone 4 last christmas and I was pleased with the experience.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
I buy and sell on swappa for the last 3 years without issues. As a matter of fact I have 2 listings on there now..

Sent from my Verizon LG G4 from my couch in Portland, Oregon

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've sold on Swappa and they are very thorough in what they ask for when putting a device up for sale. They really hold the seller to pretty high standards and expect the device to be protected well and shipped on time.

That being said, the one sale I made on there ended up being a local sale as the buyer was located only 15min away from me. I ended up sending them a message and they agreed for a local pickup at the Verizon store. This was years ago though.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I've only had one real issue where a seller would not respond to me after there was a huge crack on the phone which is against Swappa's rules. You have to go through Paypal for a refund for the phone but Swappa happily refunded the $10 fee. I just hate that Swappa uses Paypal, because I get nothing but problems with some of the simplest things from them. Took me over a week get that $600 refund. So I guess not really an issue with Swappa, just with PayPal.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've only had one real issue where a seller would not respond to me after there was a huge crack on the phone which is against Swappa's rules. You have to go through Paypal for a refund for the phone but Swappa happily refunded the $10 fee. I just hate that Swappa uses Paypal, because I get nothing but problems with some of the simplest things from them. Took me over a week get that $600 refund. So I guess not really an issue with Swappa, just with PayPal.
Must have something to do with the amount of money spent. They refunded me the next day when I had to file a complaint on an ebay seller that never came through just last year. That was under $100 though.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I buy all of my used phones on Swappa. I've only ever had one issue where the phone was not as promised, but the seller made things right immediately. It's my go to phone shopping site.

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
That's great news. I received email Monday from PayPal that the package has shipped 2 day priority shipping. Hopefully I have it today, although we're now talking about the postal service.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Must have something to do with the amount of money spent. They refunded me the next day when I had to file a complaint on an ebay seller that never came through just last year. That was under $100 though.

Yeah...it was a whole fiasco. What's weird is I notified them the same day I got the item and shipped it back to the seller. They kept claiming, "Oh it will take 3 days to investigate." Of course, I got no response. Another 3 days. That's when I discovered they have a 14 day policy to dispute or something like that (I can't remember). I kindly asked the next person I spoke with what was exactly being investigated? I sent it back. "Oh...you didn't sent it back to the address on PayPal. It was sent to another address that was changed recently." The seller was kind enough to try and email them but then he stopped all contact and PayPal just wouldn't give in. Finally, I got to a nice gentlemen that stated since the seller wasn't responding, I would get my refund. If the guy was a jerk, he could've ran off with the phone and my $600. I asked the guy, "So, is PayPal actually encouraging scamming? Because I would not have gotten this money if it wasn't for him responding." I was then responded with a (and I quote), "Yes...we get scammers all the time who will sell stuff and then turn around and change their address to scam them out of their money." Yet...PayPal would do nothing about it.

That was the last straw for me though. They also tried limiting my account for no reason. After some investigation, I found out they tried to link me to a previous resident because of my address who also had a limited account. I spoke with a manager and raised my concerns about not only my invasion of privacy, but the previous occupant. They have nothing to do with my PayPal account. Why does it matter what my address is? There was another incident where they tried to ban my account because my girlfriend decided to sell a costume and they tried to claim it was 'adult-oriented.' It was a Big Bird costume...for girls and by girls I mean girls from 7-10 years of age. Didn't notify me and didn't even bother to try to let me rectify the situation by taking down the item if it was so 'offensive' to them. Just banned my whole account and locked up my money after it was sold. This is why I no longer use sites that deal specifically with PayPal.

sigh

Sorry for highjacking this thread. I just really despise Swappa uses PayPal or else it would be the perfect place to do business as I had no issues with the site itself or the phones I bought.

That's great news. I received email Monday from PayPal that the package has shipped 2 day priority shipping. Hopefully I have it today, although we're now talking about the postal service.

On a lighter note, that is awesome. I notice most Swappa users I dealt with didn't mind going the extra mile for shipping.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Just a quick reply. I've bought three phones and sold one over swappa. They take measures to make sure you're experience is authentic. I'd recommended it to anyone willing to do a little digging, as to make sure you're safe

Sent from my Note 4