[Exclusive] First Impressions of the Asus Transformer Prime

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
What kind of battery life are you getting for video playback, web surfing etc.?

This is my first full day with it so can't say for sure yet but right now very promising...7hours in and at 75% battery. I watched some YouTube, transferred about 20 gigs worth of files(screen on the entire time) , did some browsing and emailing. I'm pretty impressed so far...

Now for the cons. There's some lag, as with every android device, and GPS doesn't lock on very fast. Neither of these are deal breakers for me though because I expected lag going on and I don't plan on using it as my standalone GPS.

Camera is pretty amazing btw...best I've seen on a tablet. Definitely recommend it of you're in the market for a tablet. Its the best android tablet available, based on my limited knowledge of android tablets, and a good alternative to the ipad if your only looking for android. When it gets ics it's only gonna get better.

cdfjr1975

Reaction score
Is there a way to see if you are in quad core or using the fifth core? Is this selectable by program or does the system do it on it's own. Since the fifth core is for power savings just curious if this is customizable?

Can you create VPN connections?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wow. Seven hours and 75% battery left. That is pretty impressive. I really want it for traveling. I'm tired of trying to watch movies on my phone and my laptop is just too big and cumbersome for that too. I wish I could afford to fly first class all the time...but that's not happening. A lot of flights have wifi available now, so watching a flick and surfing the web are great ways to kill time. I don't worry about a little lag and I certainly won't be using it for GPS. Sounds like it might be a good choice.
Thanks

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to see if you are in quad core or using the fifth core? Is this selectable by program or does the system do it on it's own. Since the fifth core is for power savings just curious if this is customizable?

Can you create VPN connections?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Just checked, I don't see any way to tell whats being used and what's not, unless I missed it. From what I've read, when you put it in "Normal" mode that's when all the cores are used, but don't quote me on that. I don't see anything on the tablet itself that represents graphically what cores are in use. I would assume its done automatically by the system, or when you change the power modes (Balanced, Normal, Power Save). I've toggled between all three modes and don't see any appreciable difference between them as far as performance goes so they're most probably just for battery saving. I'm sitting on Balanced right now, which could explain my good battery stats.

As for VPN connections yes see attached pic

Wow. Seven hours and 75% battery left. That is pretty impressive. I really want it for traveling. I'm tired of trying to watch movies on my phone and my laptop is just too big and cumbersome for that too. I wish I could afford to fly first class all the time...but that's not happening. A lot of flights have wifi available now, so watching a flick and surfing the web are great ways to kill time. I don't worry about a little lag and I certainly won't be using it for GPS. Sounds like it might be a good choice.
Thanks

Yeah for a flight, with a full charge you can definitely get a movie in, play some games and do some web surfing without worrying about the battery dying (again, just based on my usage today and what I'm seeing).

View attachment 44989

Frederuco

Reaction score
For the different modes,

Normal = up to4 cores at 1.3 GHz or 1 core at 1.4 GHz if only 1 core is being used.
Balanced = Up to 4 cores, 1.2 GHz max clock speed (save a little battery)
Powersave = Up to 4 cores, 0.8 GHz max clock speed.