Exchange registration spoofing

whatup

Reaction score
My corp will not approve Droid for general use. Is there anyway to spoof the name registration in Exchange to make it look like a Smartphone registration instead of Droid and use the touchdown client for activesync?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure but if there is do you want to place your self in that situation? Most companies have security policies and procedures in place to protect themselves and their employees. Typically, when someone knowingly violates a policy the ramifications can be sever.

Mike

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd also recommend not doing this. Companies that tend to have policies tend to enforce them with corrective actions. Whether corrective means "a talk" or "firing" (or something in between) depends on the company.

You're better off trying to prove to them that Touchdown support the security policies that they require even though the Droid doesn't apparently support them natively.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whatup,

I'd echo what others have said. Not sure how important your job is to you but if your firm is sufficiently committed to security to set standards for particular cell phones, I doubt they would be happy discovering that you've violated that policy.

Generally, firms are concerned about three issues. First, that they can protect their internal networks from outside threats. It shouldn't be too difficult to demonstrate that the Droid poses no greater a threat than other mobile devices on that score. (Unless, of course, their entire security apparatus is built on RIM software and they're not willing to adapt to a changing environment.) But if they're Exchange-centric, Touchdown should provide the security they need (I believe.)

Second, firms have a legitimate concern about the loss of mobile devices and the capability to lock access to the phone and/or wipe the data on the phone. You might suggest they examine either Wave Secure or Mobile Defense as a solution to that problem on the Droid.

Finally, firms are sometimes concerned about open access to email on a phone even if it has not been lost. Apart from the obvious use of a lock pattern on your phone, you might investigate an app called "Protector." It allows you to password protect any application on the Droid, including email. Thus, even if you let someone examine your phone they won't be able to open your email application.

Good luck.