Exchange Moving Emails to Folders

DogPaw

Reaction score
I just got my Droid today and I am loving it! I was waiting and I suggest to anybody sitting on the fence to pull the trigger. It is a night and day difference from anything I have used in the past.

I was able to very easily set my my exchange email and it is sending and receiving emails just fine. I cannot figure out how to move them to folders after I receive them. I can see the folders but I cannot move the emails. Any ideas???

Mark5047

Reaction score
That functionality is supposed to be fixed in January. In the mean time you can just move the emails on your desktop and refresh the folders on the droid. Not the best solution, but they know its an issue and have already announced the fix. I am ok with that.

taylowa

Reaction score
I just got my Droid this week, and I'm still not able to move from one folder to the other. I am on version OS2.1.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Keep in mind that in the exchange mode your emails reside on the server. So if the server has them in one folder and you attempt to move them on your Droid the exchange server will sync and put them where it thinks they are. Try moving them on your PC...let the Droid refresh...then see if they match with is on your PC.

I move emails to various folders on my Droid and when the exchange syncs it updates and then updates my PC. So I do not know what causes yours to not function like mine. But if you think about how cloud computing works...maybe you will find your problem. Don't try to make it work like your old phone worked. Remember that your emails, contacts and calendar are now stored on the server. Any change you make has to change the data on the server so that both your Droid and your PC will get those changes from the server.

Same thing happens with G-Mail. G-Mail has the server with the email, calendar and contacts data. Are you syncing all your exchange content to GMail? If so...shut that off. Let Gmail and Exchange be seperate sync systems. I keep business on the exchange and personal on the gmail. Both work flawlessly. But I do not share info between the two systems.

Nate

taylowa

Reaction score
Nate,

How do you get the option to move to the folder? When I click the options for my exchange email there isn't an option to move to folder. Even when I check it, there isn't an options. Also, how do you turn off the Exchange content to Gmail? I don't know if mine is, but my contacts from Exchange are not in my Gmail account.

bwquestion

Reaction score
Did anyone figure this out? Not intrested in a Touchdown app to do something that should be normal procedure.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
The stock program won't do it. That is the beauty of the Droid: If you wan't something there is probably an app for it. Touchdown does a lot of other useful things. Worth the money in my opinion.

mjs31

Reaction score
Did anyone figure this out? Not intrested in a Touchdown app to do something that should be normal procedure.
I understand your concern, but you really should check Touchdown out. It is superior to anything out there for exchange email

bwquestion

Reaction score
I have seen it. A guy I work with got it for his droid. Just cant see paying the money to be able to move mail around in folders. This is something that should just work.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have seen it. A guy I work with got it for his droid. Just cant see paying the money to be able to move mail around in folders. This is something that should just work.

Why?

Sorry, but you didn't purchase a Microsoft phone. If you had, you'd have some grounds for that complaint. As it is you sound like someone complaining that they can't drop a Chevy engine in a Ford without the addition of third party parts.

jeanlee411

Reaction score
I just got my Droid today and I am loving it! I was waiting and I suggest to anybody sitting on the fence to pull the trigger. It is a night and day difference from anything I have used in the past.

I was able to very easily set my my exchange email and it is sending and receiving emails just fine. I cannot figure out how to move them to folders after I receive them. I can see the folders but I cannot move the emails. Any ideas???
That functionality is supposed to be fixed in January. In the mean time you can just move the emails on your desktop and refresh the folders on the droid. Not the best solution, but they know its an issue and have already announced the fix. I am ok with that.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Nate,

How do you get the option to move to the folder? When I click the options for my exchange email there isn't an option to move to folder. Even when I check it, there isn't an options. Also, how do you turn off the Exchange content to Gmail? I don't know if mine is, but my contacts from Exchange are not in my Gmail account.

OK...sorry...I mistyped something there. I re-read my response and I see where I said I can move emails on my Droid. I can't. I move them on my desktop PC and they sync to the droid. But I have my droid set to sync every 15 minutes so I don't see them moved until I refresh automatically or manually. The Droid is just acting like a terminal server to access the stuff on the server. So somehow you have to make that move on the server...be it through touchdown (which does not act like a terminal server but more like a node on the network) or your desktop.

Sorry for the confusion. My mind was not on task when I typed that message.

So you have three options I can think of. Pay for Tuchdown (I am with you and not willing to pay for an app just to be able to move emails to folders) or use your desktop to move them and wait for Droid to sync or wait for the updates mentioned above. First I heard of them.

There are probably other apps on the market to do what you want. I have not looked for them. I spend enough time at my desktop that this just is a non-issue for me.

Nate

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So you have three options I can think of. Pay for Tuchdown (I am with you and not willing to pay for an app just to be able to move emails to folders) or use your desktop to move them and wait for Droid to sync or wait for the updates mentioned above. First I heard of them.
The first option should read "use any Exchange client app that supports moving email among folders". Touchdown isn't the only solution. I believe HTC Work Email app (search/Google for it) and Moxier will. There may be others as well.

bwquestion

Reaction score

Why?

Sorry, but you didn't purchase a Microsoft phone. If you had, you'd have some grounds for that complaint. As it is you sound like someone complaining that they can't drop a Chevy engine in a Ford without the addition of third party parts.

Not really sure how you got confused about the Micorsoft phone thing, but we are discussing the Motorola Droid. The grounds for the complaint are based on the fact that the Droid is listed as providing Exchange Support for both 2003 and 2007. If you are unsure about this please review the tech specifications provided by Motorola on their website. In the requirements for Exchange support is the ability to move messages between folders. If you are unsure about this please read the Exchange documentation on Microsoft's website.

The point is the same as I stated before. I should not have to pay for an app to do what the phone should do to start with. It should just work.

This would be different if Motorola did not say it supported Exchange messaging in its technical specifications.

As far as the car analogy, a more acurate rendering would be, If you bought a Ford and they said it had a 5 speed but you could only put it in 5th gear if you bought a third party shifter, you would probably return the car.

If you are still confused about what we are discussing maybe someone else can help on another tread.