Exchange Inbox on Droid X

mgmblackberry

Reaction score
Hello. I am considering the Droid X. I tried the original Droid but did not like the limitations on only three days of email inbox sync (or similar limitation) for exchange users. Can anyone confirm that the Android implementation on Droid X allows for full synchronization of my exchange (Outlook 2007 server) inbox? I am in a corporate environment that fully supports ActiveSync, so it would be the full push implementation.

Any comments or comparisons to either the iPhone ActiveSync or blackberry implementation of exchange would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

phonejunkie

Reaction score
Droix X Exchange Email Sync

I've been playing around with the Droid X over the weekend. We are running Exchange 2007 in our corp environment. The push settings DO allow you to sync with the following options:
1 day
3 days
1 week
2 weeks
1 month
ALL

One lacking feature I've found so far is the inability to set an out of office message directly from the mail app.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Give Touchdown a try, been using it for 8 months and it beats the native app hands down.

Reaction score
Hello. I am considering the Droid X. I tried the original Droid but did not like the limitations on only three days of email inbox sync (or similar limitation) for exchange users. Can anyone confirm that the Android implementation on Droid X allows for full synchronization of my exchange (Outlook 2007 server) inbox? I am in a corporate environment that fully supports ActiveSync, so it would be the full push implementation.

Any comments or comparisons to either the iPhone ActiveSync or blackberry implementation of exchange would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FORMER BB Storm2 user here... My company has the same setup and as people have stated, full sync is capable on the DX, not just 3 day max.

However, there are some features on the Android OS in general that you probably will not like compared to the Blackberry (which is absolutely unmatched in reagards to Exchange features, IMHO):
  • Can't search email with native DX Corp Sync program
  • Calendar appointments are not as full featured (Can't make them Private, can't set as "Free, Busy, Out Of Office,")
  • Can't see meeting free/busy schedules (though my BB never really did this either)
I am sure there are more, that is just what I've noticed. As others mentioned, a fantastic app for BB users is Touchdown for Exchange, which allows you to customize the folders you want to sync, not to mention will do everything that the Native application won't (mentioned above).

The only shortcoming of using Touchdown instead of the native ActiveSync on the Droid X is that you lose the "Corporate Directory" feature native to the Droid X not to mention a truely "universal" contact list. You would have to use Touchdown if you want to lookup corporate contacts.

Your other option is to configure both Touchdown and Corporate Sync to pull down your Exchange accounts and you will get the best of both worlds, however, you will also get double-notifications on emails and/or Calendar reminders. What I did to avoid that from happening was to configure the Corporate Sync, but unchecked the email and calendar items, so it only pulls over my Exchange Contacts. (This does not give you Corporate Contacts, but it will put Exchange contacts into your Contacts program.)

Reaction score
Give Touchdown a try, been using it for 8 months and it beats the native app hands down.

Should also mention, though there's a 30 day trial, the full version license costs $20... well worth it for those converting from Blackberry though!