Exchange Email Set Up and Droid 3

rugby1

Reaction score
Hi-
I am attempting to set up my wife's work email from instructions I have and I am not given a choice of 'exchange' just POP and IMAP in 'email' icon.

I believe older droids could set up from this icon on an exchange server....Can't find it anywhere in this phone. Wifey is telling me her work friend set up her I-phone in 5 minutes....grrrr....this is like getting lost in the car...I've told her this is better than the I-phone....little egg on face. Although that GOOG news today...maybe I am right.

Thanks in advance.

mattbooty

Reaction score
You need to go into settings (home screen, settings hard button, settings icon) -> accounts -> add account -> corporate sync.

For some reason newer android devices renamed the industry standard terms "Exchange" and "active sync" to "corporate sync" and confused the heck out of everyone.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
You need to go into settings (home screen, settings hard button, settings icon) -> accounts -> add account -> corporate sync.

For some reason newer android devices renamed the industry standard terms "Exchange" and "active sync" to "corporate sync" and confused the heck out of everyone.

Those are MicroSoft terms--especially Exchange--they are probably copyrighted.

mattbooty

Reaction score
Those are MicroSoft terms--especially Exchange--they are probably copyrighted.
Yes but I'm not sure why MS would have a problem with companies advertising that they support MS's products... I'm sure the name "Yahoo" is copyrighted also, as is youtube, twitter, last.fm, etc, but they are all available under the setup accounts... although hotmail isn't listed so maybe this is just a big "screw you" to MS over the patent issues...

Either way, Corporate sync is what you are looking for OP.

OP
R

rugby1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I still was not able to hook up the account with the Droid 3's stock corp sync. Ended up setting up with touchdown and that worked.

Was taking too much time and thought I read others were having trouble hooking up exchange email on the Droid 3 stock email. app.

questingmcq

Reaction score
Try leaving domain empty.
Also make sure you are using the correct format for username. It could be [email protected] ( same as your email address) or username or domain\username. ( This makes a difference.)
It may come back and ask for the Server. If you are living in the US and it is a Microsoft exchange server then you need to use red001.mail.microsoftonline.com. This should do the trick. Then wait it may take a while. I went to sleep and when I got up it was working.
I had a 20min lag with my Blackberry from the time an email hit my inbox to the time the phone got it. The Droid sometimes beats my inbox.

bdub33

Reaction score
Try using the word mail. Thats what I had to do when entering the server name. Mail.emailaddress. com or net

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tgarza

Reaction score
I had a tough time getting set up too. I went from a Blackberry to a Bionic. Turns out, IT needed to turn on my permission to use "active sync" on my user profile. After they did that, it connected fine. Blackberry uses a different method with MS Exchange, I suppose.

REMilk

Reaction score
Try adding add a new "Corporate Sync" account using the setting that are used in Touchdown. That is the approach I took with my OG Droid and it worked well.

Personally, I prefer the integration of Touchdown with MS Exchange over that of the stock apps.

Bob