Exchange Email Forwarding

cellphonedude

Reaction score
Having an issue where e-mails being forwarded are coming though as .eml's outlook wont open them let alone a blackberry any ideas? Anyone else have a repeatable problem...?

Last edited:

Stigy

Reaction score
Ummm this is not an Exchange support forum nor a Blackberry forum.

Is this occurring on your Droid or just in general?

OP
cellphonedude

cellphonedude

Reaction score
On a Verizon Droid... hence me posting on droid forums... im just trying to figure out if other Droid users that use exchange notice anything weird about how android 2.0 on the droid forwards emails (specifically) but either way trying to gauge if anyone on this Droid forum even use exchange....

Stigy

Reaction score
Only was asking because your OP said something about Blackberry and your phone list in the left side doesn't say DROID, sorry for the assumption.

I use the Exchange on my DROID and it works perfectly. Exchange 2003 on the server and I sync mail and calendar. Haven't had one issue yet.

You are having the same problem on your Blackberry though as the Droid or am I misinterpreting something?

OP
cellphonedude

cellphonedude

Reaction score
Being that I'm posting here: Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum</SPAN> » Droid Discussions » Tech Issues, Bug Reports & Suggestions I don't think it was nessacry to assume anything I am in fact talking about the VERIZON DROID (note 2nd time I've said it now) Back to the reason for posting.

The Setup: Verizon Droid + Hosted Exchange 2007 w/ Active Directory Cloud of users

The Issue: Forwarded e-mails to external email accounts are forwarded as an attachment ".eml" which shows up as garbled text on a BlackBerry (I said blackberry because as a bit of Dev / enthusiast I have many phones) I haven't looked anywhere elese besides my G1, and outlook on win7, on the G1 atleast it opens but all formatting is shot.

The Reason I post: Wondering if the issue is repeateable so it can be filled as a proper bug and shot up along the ranks.

Stigy

Reaction score
So you are FORWARDING an email from the Corporate account OUTSIDE of your Exchange environment and when that outside user receives your email it is attached as a .eml file?

Is my assumption correct now?

brianr0131

Reaction score
I have experienced this as well. I posted in droid general forums but no one replied. I hope they fix this in Dec. It is droid/exchange specific though and it is not only when forwarded to outside addresses it occurs within my company directory as well. Although, the .eml can be opened on outlook 2007 (xp) without issue.

I have an issue with exchange "sent" folder too it lists emails all by the "from" fiels (your name) the "to" field isn't visible. Oh, and you have to manually sync the "sent" folder too.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I think this may be an exchange issue. I have a similar setup and can only produce similar results when attaching other email messages (hence the separate *.eml file) , not forwarding.

bhendrick

Reaction score
I have the same exact issue. I am synching with corporate outlook no problem except for this.
It looks like when I reply to messages, the recipients receive the message that contains the original text embedded or inline with the response email. However, when I forward an email, the original message text is received as an EML attachment file. This happens for any recipient of my forwarded message whether in or out of our company. And if in the company, the attachment is stripped cause the server policies restrict that attachment file type.

I notice that when you hit reply or forward, the original message text is in an area called QUOTED TEXT which has an 'x' box to remove the original text. I am assuming it is including the original text as as attachment and not embedded. I cant find any settings to change this which I used to have on my bberry and I do have in the pure outlook client. And I notice on motorola site that it says that Outlook embedded EML is not supported.

However, again, even though when replying it is shown as quoted text section, recipients do get it within the message with no attachment. It is only happening when forwarding messages.

Any ideas? The only solution I can do is always use reply, and just remove the original sender and add the recipients who I want to forward to. Which is annoying. And then if I have to deal with forwarding attachments? not possible since you cant attach files to emails.