Error Contact Storage

ampersandman

Reaction score
I rooted my phone and force deleted yahoo mail and gmail, and their authenticators. Now I can't save or edit contacts. How do I fix this problem? I wouldn't mind unrooting, but I'm very technologically unsavvy so good explanations are very, very welcome.

r314bd

Reaction score
Don't worry, this is an easy fix.

The problem is due to Yahoo Mail Authenticator but I've attached both that and Gmail in case you want to reinstall them both.

1. Download/install ES File Explorer
  2. Open it, click Settings, scroll to the bottom of the list and check "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System" (allow root access when prompted)
  3. Paste the Yahoo .apk and .odex files in the system/app folder
  4. For both files, do a long press, click "Properties", and change the permissions to rw-r--r-- (all three boxes checked in the the left column, top box checked in middle column)

That should do the trick.

Attachments

• Gmail.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 456
  • Yahoo Mail Authenticator.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,020
OP
A

ampersandman

Reaction score
I got the files onto my phone and I copy them and try to paste them in the system/app folder but it says "java.io.FileNotFoundException: /system/app/blur_yahoo.apk (Permission denied)

I was using Astro. I just bought and am downloading Root Explorer.

r314bd

Reaction score
Sorry I should've indicated that you must mount /system as R/W or the files won't copy (and then unmount after you're done copying)

OP
A

ampersandman

Reaction score
I have a few questions though..

1) What is the simplest way to create a backup of your phone in case you mess it up later you can do like a total system restore to a previous date like in windows?

2) Is there any way to undo a root so completely that you can send it back to the manufacturer if something happened to a button or something and they won't know you rooted it? Or is un-rooting a thing that you can't do yet on the droid 4 since it's so new?

3) Is overclocking really that bad on your processor? What percentage lower than 86% is a good number if you want it just a little faster, but still want your phone to last the whole two years?

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
(Where is the banghead smilie when needed)

You should have made a nandroid backup as soon as root was achieved, this would get you back to that point if needed....

#1 mistake on new rooters....

----posted maxx'ed out----

r314bd

Reaction score
1) What is the simplest way to create a backup of your phone in case you mess it up later you can do like a total system restore to a previous date like in windows?
Install Safestrap, boot into ClockworkMod recovery, and create a full nandroid backup. The backup saves to your internal phone storage.
2) Is there any way to undo a root so completely that you can send it back to the manufacturer if something happened to a button or something and they won't know you rooted it? Or is un-rooting a thing that you can't do yet on the droid 4 since it's so new?
Droid 4 Utility has an unroot option.

ddemarco5

Reaction score
Bump

I made this mistake as well, I didn't know freezing was the way to go, because I thought titanium backup was capable of restoring system apps.

However, I've replaced my yahoo account authentication .apk and .odex file, chown and chgrp are set to root, and chmod 644 to set permissions to -rw-r--r--

On reboot however, I still have the same error.

ddemarco5

Reaction score
Yeah, quite a few things. I got it fixed, I had found a stock motoblur image someone posted on a forum and flashed that into the phone, that took care of the problem. Freezing is definitly a better option that removing :p

r314bd

Reaction score
I got it fixed, I had found a stock motoblur image someone posted on a forum and flashed that into the phone, that took care of the problem. Freezing is definitly a better option that removing :p
Good deal :)

lherch

Reaction score
I need some help please. I rooted and downloaded Root Explorer and downloaded the two files provided, but I'm still getting a force close everytime I try to open a contact. What else can I do?

r314bd

Reaction score
I need some help please. I rooted and downloaded Root Explorer and downloaded the two files provided, but I'm still getting a force close everytime I try to open a contact. What else can I do?
What other apps did you uninstall?