Eris ROM 1.17.605.1 OTA update in progress

Jolest

Reaction score
Before everyone gets too excited, this is NOT the long-awaited 2.x update. This is another incremental 1.5 update. On the Verizon website is the following notice:
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software enhancement for your Droid Eris by HTC smartphone. The Droid Eris software version ROM: 1.17.605.1/ Radio: 2.32.40.11.09 update includes the following update:

Rare instances where the display locked or
appeared to be in an out-of-service state when
attempting to wake up the DROID ERIS from
screen saver mode no longer occurs.

OP
J

Jolest

Reaction score
not what i want fixed
The kind of lockup this is supposed to fix would prevent people from doing anything with their Eris until they removed the battery and then waited up to 3 minutes for the phone to restart...

What do you think is more important for HTC to fix than a bug that prevented people from being able to count on using their Eris when they needed it?

chassum

Reaction score
This is a needed fix

Glad to see this update. Not that the bug was a show-stopper, but it was the most irritating and embarrassing problem I've encountered so far on the Eris. Now I'm just waiting on 2.1 :)

Reaction score
will there be like a pop up, to let me know this update will happen, or do i have to go to "Settings" > "about phone" > check for updates?

erikzen

Reaction score
You should get a message on your phone. I got one this morning but wanted to check it out first before updating. Some people reported having trouble with their phones after the last update.

I actually had the phone freeze up on me once, requiring a battery pull. Luckily, it's only been once in the few days I've owned the phone.

I'm glad they've addressed the issue. Hopefully, it won't cause more problems than it fixes.

OP
J

Jolest

Reaction score
I got my update this am. i was hoping for 2.0. Anybody know what the status of that is?
As far as I know, it's still sheduled to be released "Q1 2010". While rumors say late January, the current update being released now says to me that we won't see 2.x before mid-February at best...

I'll be happy if they have it SOLID and to us by March 31st...

blue

Reaction score
well my wifes just dropped her phone off to me and told me to fix it. it looks like she got the update.

this is the issue...if fc a bunch of things from the start, it has no service, I thought maybe it was in airplane mode, so it tried to go into the wireless setting, it fc;d on me . I pulled the battery and left it off for a few. still no go. she is a paramedic, and uses her phone alot in the field. looks like we are going to verizon here soon to have them fix it...

blue

Reaction score
well I got her phone up and running. I have to do a factory resate to get it to work again. seems fine now

Droid101

Reaction score
I got my update this am. i was hoping for 2.0. Anybody know what the status of that is?
As far as I know, it's still sheduled to be released "Q1 2010". While rumors say late January, the current update being released now says to me that we won't see 2.x before mid-February at best...

I'll be happy if they have it SOLID and to us by March 31st...

The 22nd this is from the same document that had the correct Dec. 11th update so I am going to say in good confidence on the 22nd of January the Moto. Droid should be seeing an update. The HTC Eris MAY receive a similar update but the Eris update is still up in the air.

chassum

Reaction score
I've seen speculation that due to marketing forces, the Moto Droid would get it's update before the Eris (which seems likely). In that case, I'll expect the Eris update a few weeks later.

chassum

Reaction score
Just a follow up on the minor fix:

Rare instances where the display locked or
appeared to be in an out-of-service state when
attempting to wake up the DROID ERIS from
screen saver mode no longer occurs.

The good news is I haven't seen this issue at all since the update.