Eris kaos Froyo v39 can't receive text messages

dmipock

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago my phone suddenly stopped receiving text messages. I didn't download any updates or anything. It started out by just delaying text receiving capabilities. I would text someone and they would immediately reply, however I wouldn't receive the text back for about 4 hours. then it quit all together. I have flashed and reinstalled froyo, I have rebooted, i installed handcents I have tried everything and nothing works. When I dial *228 the phone goes to a programming screen and will not let me access a dial pad to press 1, must be an issue with the kaos froyo rom.

Threeball

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago my phone suddenly stopped receiving text messages. I didn't download any updates or anything. It started out by just delaying text receiving capabilities. I would text someone and they would immediately reply, however I wouldn't receive the text back for about 4 hours. then it quit all together. I have flashed and reinstalled froyo, I have rebooted, i installed handcents I have tried everything and nothing works. When I dial *228 the phone goes to a programming screen and will not let me access a dial pad to press 1, must be an issue with the kaos froyo rom.

Dial *22899 to update the prl. Also know that u can hold down the menu button to force the keypad up.

Then try deleting old msgs. There r apps for this or u can do it manually.
If it still doesn't work, u might need to reflash. Make sure u wipe data and dalvik first.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using DroidForums App

OP
dmipock

dmipock

Reaction score
when I dial the *22899 music comes on and my phone disconnects the call, as if it doesn't want me to update.

Threeball

Reaction score
Yep. That's what it does. The music should play for 30 sec or so and u should hear a msg saying uv been programmed.

OP
dmipock

dmipock

Reaction score
Cannot OTA program

I've tried multiple times to OTA program and if I dial *228 the music in the background is there, however when I push 1 or 2 it doesn't hear me push the button. finally it hangs up on me without programming my phone. if i dial *22899 it starts to program then my phone ends the call after about 4 seconds and says failed. ANY IDEAS ANYONE?

Threeball

Reaction score
If it wont accept programming u might have a more serious problem. U might need to flash back to stock and take it in to Verizon. If they can fix it then reroot and all that. If not u'll probly get a new phone.

It seems like there should be a better solution to this tho. Hopefully someone w some real expertise will chime in w an idea.

phonedude64

Reaction score
Same issue

I had exactly the same problem, dmipock. Unfortunately, I tried a long list of steps before calling Verizon (leaving out the part about my having a custom ROM, naturally) and they said it was "an issue with the phone itself." My texting just randomly stopped working - there was no delay time, it just quit one day. I received a replacement phone today but am worried about putting KaosFroyo back on it...so for now I'm using the dreaded stock ROM :-(

eristATL

Reaction score
Same issue as well

I was running v37 and had no major problems. Updated to v39 and incoming SMS capabilities ceased. Outgoing functioned properly. Realized it about a week later. I called Verizon support and they suggested a reprogram which went about as well as above posters described.

Received a new phone in the mail today due to a cracked screen. Text seems to be working now but I did not receive any overdue texts.

I'd like to re-root and reinstall v37 but am weary.

Is this solely a v39 issue or is the a Kaos ROM issue?

badjedi

Reaction score
Here is a quote from the developers thread from the XDA sight;

"I don't know how much of the steps I took actually fixed the problem but this happened to me last week. I wasn't receiving text messages. I could send them and things worked on data and calling was fine. I tried WIPE/FLASH of V39, no dice. I tried WIPE/FLASH of Tazz Froyo, no dice. I tried *228 both options, no dice. So on the way to work I decided to UnRoot and would head to a Verizon store after work. Maybe they could examine my account I thought. As soon as I signed in my gmail account on my unrooted 2.1 Sense phone, 25 text messages pushed down to my phone. Phone was pretty useless for a few minutes. Soo after a day of using the stock ROM and now able to send and receive SMS, I WIPE/FLASHED V39. Haven't had any trouble with the SMS since.
Hope this helps."