Eris for Dummies?

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
I consider myself to have a reasonable level of technical literacy and typically don't read user manuals, but the lack of ANY documentation with the Eris beyond the Tips booklet has me scratching my head a bit. For example, I would like to know what to do with the additional screens that appear when I gesture left/right from the Home screen. What are 'scenes'? Can I change the applications that are displayed on the Home screen?

I get the basic navigation and how to place phone calls and read my Gmail, but I don't understand, for example, how to get the weather displayed with the current time (it was there this morning until I pressed something). What is the deal with the 'app killer' applications I keep hearing about? I realize that this is a very subjective question, but are there 5-10 apps that every Droid user should download?

Finally, is this something that I should ask in the general Droid forum, or is the Eris uniquely different from the Moto Droid?

Thanks!

pbutterfly

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be buying mine while the HTC rep was stopping by the store and he was excited to show me a lot. A "scene" is the look of your main page, and you can change "scene" to have different shortcuts/widgets and backgrounds. There are several options pre-loaded, and you can save them once you create a layout you like.

To get an icon to show up on the main screen, hit the arrow above the home button, find the one you want to add, press and hold it. It will pulse and you'll see it on your main page along with a box around available spots to place it - pick a position and drag it there. To remove from the main page (it will still show up on the pages of all your apps), press and hold until an area marked "remove" appears at the bottom of the screen and drag the icon down there.

Hope that helped!

OP
F

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
This is helpful, thanks, but I would really like to find a user guide as I cannot believe that I am the only owner with questions. What, for example is a widget? Is it the same as a shortcut? How do I delete applications that I have downloaded? Is it possible to monitor more than one Gmail account?

OP
F

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
OP
F

Fairfax22032

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to restore the default home screen? I did something that changed the time display to an analog clock and I would like to have the digital clock with the weather displayed underneath.

rweckhoff

Reaction score
From the home screen, hit the menu button > scenes > and select HTC

eritoton

Reaction score
From the home screen, hit the menu button > scenes > and select HTC
Thank you so much! Seems so easy when you know how. I'm so relieved. Getting close to clocking myself or the phone or both. So, thanks.