Epic...I mean Eris Fail 2.1?

R5D4

Reaction score
I think it's funny that on this site, especially on this site, the backlash for what a total bust the 2.1 update has been is really quiet here. This is one of the best Eris boards I've come across and really the only one I come to for information. But now, reading the posts of the issues people are having, compared to what else is out there...the impact seems much more diminished here. I would think this board would be exploding with complaints, thread after thread of issues...etc.

There is no doubt in my mind that since the update there are so many issues with my phone that I haven't even sat down and bothered with researching each one and trying to fix it. My phone makes calls right now and I can sort of browse the internet on it. Yippee.

1. Contacts...well documented issue. I did not have a ton of contacts, but now I have not been able to HIDE my Gmail contacts from my Address Book which I was able to do in the first 5 minutes after opening up my phone when I first got it. Also, the Facebook images that I told the phone to use for my friends before are all blank now.

2. Speaking of Facebook syncing...I constantly get the following error now: The process com.htc.bg has stopped unexpectedly. Force close. From the very little out there on this one, some are saying it's Facebook syncing not working. No other solutions.

3. Youtube videos....forget it. Extremely choppy now and sound is out of whack with the video.

4. Typing was not great before, but now the typing lag is much worse.

5. Multi-touch sizing of web pages. Whenever I browse the web now, instead of opening up in a somewhat readable size by default...the pages (mobile-versions of major sites) open up zoomed way out and trying to resize using the pinch in our out does not snap the page to a readable size, like it did before. In fact...it takes several tiny pinches to get it readable.

6. Battery charges all night...shows 1/4 full about 2 hours after pulling it off the charger, then shows 3/4 full later in the same day?

I'm just not sure what we gained with the 2.1?

Don't get me wrong and start flaming...I love my Eris...just a little disappointed with the update and response from HTC and users. I'm just hoping I didn't enter into an Apple-like community by getting an Android device...I was trying to do just the opposite when I purchased this phone.

DroidTard

Reaction score
You're right - people here seem to have fewer issues than elsewhere. However, maybe it's because they're a little better informed? I don't know. I do know this - I posted a thread very much like this one a few days ago, and I would say that while the Eris with 1.5 was the best phone I've ever owned, the Eris with 2.1 was the WORST.

That said, I think there are some simple fixes that will correct a lot of what you're talking about.

E.g., check out the http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-droid-eris/46432-droid-eris-2-1-built-weather-widget.html - in case you haven't seen that already. Another user turned me on to this simple fix, and it cleared about 30-40 Mb of memory for me, and seems to have cleaned up some of the other issues.

Only time will tell what other items and processes are in the cache that need to be removed and reset, but I'm thinking that's where the majority of issues are here.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it's funny that on this site, especially on this site, the backlash for what a total bust the 2.1 update has been is really quiet here. This is one of the best Eris boards I've come across and really the only one I come to for information. But now, reading the posts of the issues people are having, compared to what else is out there...the impact seems much more diminished here. I would think this board would be exploding with complaints, thread after thread of issues...etc.

There is no doubt in my mind that since the update there are so many issues with my phone that I haven't even sat down and bothered with researching each one and trying to fix it. My phone makes calls right now and I can sort of browse the internet on it. Yippee.

1. Contacts...well documented issue. I did not have a ton of contacts, but now I have not been able to HIDE my Gmail contacts from my Address Book which I was able to do in the first 5 minutes after opening up my phone when I first got it. Also, the Facebook images that I told the phone to use for my friends before are all blank now.

2. Speaking of Facebook syncing...I constantly get the following error now: The process com.htc.bg has stopped unexpectedly. Force close. From the very little out there on this one, some are saying it's Facebook syncing not working. No other solutions.

3. Youtube videos....forget it. Extremely choppy now and sound is out of whack with the video.

5. Multi-touch sizing of web pages. Whenever I browse the web now, instead of opening up in a somewhat readable size by default...the pages (mobile-versions of major sites) open up zoomed way out and trying to resize using the pinch in our out does not snap the page to a readable size, like it did before. In fact...it takes several tiny pinches to get it readable.

6. Battery charges all night...shows 1/4 full about 2 hours after pulling it off the charger, then shows 3/4 full later in the same day?

Don't get me wrong and start flaming...I love my Eris...just a little disappointed with the update and response from HTC and users. I'm just hoping I didn't enter into an Apple-like community by getting an Android device...I was trying to do just the opposite when I purchased this phone.

#1 - User error. Everyone knew that phone entered contacts weren't synced back to google in 1.5. If you didn't then you weren't paying attention.

#2 - Facebook? Come on. Do real thinking people use that?

#3 - I have not experienced this issue. Though I get the sound of whack thing occasionally on A PC AS WELL!!! I think the sound is a youtube issue, not a 2.1 issue.

#4 - Again, not seeing this. Though I admit that the the vibrate when you hit connect after dialing a number is annoying.

#5 - Legit complaint, all be it a relatively minor issue.

#6 - Again, not seeing this myself. Not sure this is a 2.1 issue or just a general bad handset (as in YOUR handset).

Until you give a failing grade to an entire upgrade I suggest the following:

If your issues continue, then do a factory reset. Painful but people have experienced good luck with doing a reset then upgrading to 2.1. You can even mitigate some of this pain by using Astro File Manager to back-up your applications prior to the reset.

If after a reset your issues continue, call Verizon or go to the store and get a replacement. Most of the issues people have had after resetting have been due to a faulty handset. Once they got their replacement they've done the happy dance. :icon_ banana:

OP
R5D4

R5D4

Reaction score
Simma da na.

This is what I was talking about with the Apple thing...people get SO fired up about a product and get to the point where they'll defend it to the DEATH!

I'm not saying you're all jacked up and being a jerk, but your reply started off that way.

#1. User error? Really? I never said I wanted my phone contacts to be synced back to Google...just the opposite. I DON'T WANT TO SEE MY GOOGLE CONTACTS ON MY PHONE! If I remember correctly, there was a setting to toggle that would HIDE my Google contacts from displaying on my phone.

#2. Zzzzz....such a played out response. Regardless of whether or not you use Facebook, MySpace, JimmysFriendWeb.com or what the f#ck ever...it's a function of the phone and it doesn't work. Period.

#3. The Youtube video thing...along with #5 and #6 directly correlate to the 2.1 update. They never happened before.

I still haven't heard an answer to this question: What did we gain with 2.1? Voice Navigation...that's right. I'll trade that back in for a functioning feature-rich phone.

I appreciate your suggestions and I'll give them a shot.

The main reason for my post was to point out that when something goes epically wrong, in the technology world especially, staunch supporters get very defensive of criticism and tend to be blind to the obvious flaws in their beloved product.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simma da na.

This is what I was talking about with the Apple thing...people get SO fired up about a product and get to the point where they'll defend it to the DEATH!

I'm not saying you're all jacked up and being a jerk, but your reply started off that way.

#1. User error? Really? I never said I wanted my phone contacts to be synced back to Google...just the opposite. I DON'T WANT TO SEE MY GOOGLE CONTACTS ON MY PHONE! If I remember correctly, there was a setting to toggle that would HIDE my Google contacts from displaying on my phone.

#2. Zzzzz....such a played out response. Regardless of whether or not you use Facebook, MySpace, JimmysFriendWeb.com or what the f#ck ever...it's a function of the phone and it doesn't work. Period.

#3. The Youtube video thing...along with #5 and #6 directly correlate to the 2.1 update. They never happened before.

I still haven't heard an answer to this question: What did we gain with 2.1? Voice Navigation...that's right. I'll trade that back in for a functioning feature-rich phone.

I appreciate your suggestions and I'll give them a shot.

The main reason for my post was to point out that when something goes epically wrong, in the technology world especially, staunch supporters get very defensive of criticism and tend to be blind to the obvious flaws in their beloved product.

Not defending to the death. There are better phones out there, I never tried to say the Eris was the best. But your specific situation doesn't mean that everyone had an EPIC errr Eris fail with 2.1. I have loved 2.1 since I downloaded it.

There are threads out there discussing the improvements. Sorry you aren't happy, not everyone can be.

Moto Droid
Nexus One
Incredible

You have choices! Peace and may God bless you.

OptimusDroid

Reaction score
Sorry to hear all this, 2.1 has been a real boon for my wife's Eris. It's been faster and better.

jdrorrer

Reaction score
Dude you should try using google more as opposed to relying in just this one website. Then you might find that there are easy fixes to some of your issues.
1) sounds like a personal preference, bc I love they google auto-syncs my contacts.
2-4) I've seriously never had an issue with any of these. Facebook works the same and Youtube works much better now. I use swype as my keyboard and there is no lag.
5) to start with your web pages the way you're describing, press menu while in your browser, then select settings, and then un-select "show pages in overview". Now pages won't show up in overview anymore.
6) to see if you are having the cell standby battery issue, go to settings, about, battery, battery use, cell standby, and see if "time without a signal" is 50%. Make sure you do this while your phone is not plugged in with the charger. If you see this, then your phone has this bug. To fix it, put your phone in airplane mode, plug it in and charge it for a couple minutes, then unplug it, and turn off airplane mode.

Most of the issues you posted sound personal to you, so you may also want to look into returning your phone for a new one. 1-4 You arte the only person I know of having those issues. 5 is an easy fix, and 6 sounds like it may be your phone it could be the cell standby bug. Good luck, and use google!!

Darkseider

Reaction score
Most people I have spoken to have had positive results with 2.1 on the Eris. Having said that some haven't and are really upset. The fixes that I have seen that worked for these folks was a complete factory reset and then re-installation of all their programs. The other solution some have taken is to root the device and go with a rooted ROM. In the end everyone remains happy. Just depends on what route you want to take.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most people I have spoken to have had positive results with 2.1 on the Eris. Having said that some haven't and are really upset. The fixes that I have seen that worked for these folks was a complete factory reset and then re-installation of all their programs. The other solution some have taken is to root the device and go with a rooted ROM. In the end everyone remains happy. Just depends on what route you want to take.

This is what i was going to suggest. I had one of my friends with a droid when we updated it to the newest update, it was slow as heck and some programs didn't work. This wasn't because the update sucked per say but because it messed up on his phone, so when he reset to factory default and started fresh, things seemed to be much better. Now if you've tried this and it still didn't work that's another story all together.

jdrorrer

Reaction score
To fix issue #1 go to settings > accounts & sync > select google > deselect "sync google contacts". As for issues 2-4 I agree with what darkseider and new2u said to fix that. For 5 & 6, view my earlier post.

PRince

Reaction score

#1 - User error. Everyone knew that phone entered contacts weren't synced back to google in 1.5. If you didn't then you weren't paying attention.

#2 - Facebook? Come on. Do real thinking people use that?

#3 - I have not experienced this issue. Though I get the sound of whack thing occasionally on A PC AS WELL!!! I think the sound is a youtube issue, not a 2.1 issue.

#4 - Again, not seeing this. Though I admit that the the vibrate when you hit connect after dialing a number is annoying.

#5 - Legit complaint, all be it a relatively minor issue.

#6 - Again, not seeing this myself. Not sure this is a 2.1 issue or just a general bad handset (as in YOUR handset).

Until you give a failing grade to an entire upgrade I suggest the following:

If your issues continue, then do a factory reset. Painful but people have experienced good luck with doing a reset then upgrading to 2.1. You can even mitigate some of this pain by using Astro File Manager to back-up your applications prior to the reset.

If after a reset your issues continue, call Verizon or go to the store and get a replacement. Most of the issues people have had after resetting have been due to a faulty handset. Once they got their replacement they've done the happy dance. :icon_ banana:

LoneWolf, I have agreed with a majority of your post and most of them have helpped me alot.
I am the person you spends alot battery power wasting my time on facebook. Mainly because I am a college student and use this phone, for organizing school assignments, work schedules and socializing wether friends or bosses from work or a girl i met at a party.

I really miss the 1.5 or 1.6 programming because the phone worked amazingly fast and well. It was pretty much comparable to being a verizon iphone to me and my friends.

1 huge thing I loved about my phone last night using the 2.1 is the improved gps and google navigation. I was able to find a concert, place to eat and FREE parking lot that didn't follow all of the posted signs because of that programing. I was also able to avoid toll roads, which if some1 cared to look @ my previous post I complained alot about because i was planning my own routes by looking @ the map

#1 I dont like the way the contacts have changed. I had groups and folders separating my boss named anne from that girl named anne who i met the other night. If i press one wrong name cause i cant remember last names im gonna have my weird problems with my boss who is 30 years older than me

#2 I discussed above. Im a teenager I use it alot and it sucks now!

#3 As for youtube the stock app has always sucked and I just put a short cut icon on my screen to take me to youtube.

#4 Typing was great. I had to turn my phone off and on and we all no how long that takes just to input a new contact. Needless to say me and my friend we both impatient and ticked off.

#5 Glad atleast everyone agrees on this one. Why the hell am I paying $30 a month for internet if I cant google search anything!

#6 i charge my phone at home and in my car whenever I can just because this battery is signicantly weaker compared to past multi media phones I have used

Be advised to everyone I have already gone to the verizon store twice they have done hard resets on my phone I then made the guy stay with me as we called verizon to MAKE them 2.1 back to my phone, because after their reset i was back using 1.5. I have re-installed apps more causiously and still am having problems and routinely restarting my phone to make phone calls, send text messages, check email, or even listen to some music in my car.
I previously had the samsung glyde which was what I though by far the most horrible phone and wished i had chosen the EnV3 instead.
Since 2.1 I am feeling the same way besides my love for the navigation tool.

One stock app make this no longer an app but rather an expensive tom tom i could have gotten at radio shack