Engadget Browser Comparison Video--Droid vs. N1 vs. iPhone--pretty embarassing

Tegamal

Reaction score
I saw a head to head video of the iPhone 3g & the Droid on Phonedog, I think? The guy was saying The droid loaded up faster, the droid did this better, etc, yet at the end, he thought the iPhone was the "clear" winner. :blink:

EDIT: Here's all three parts of that video.
[video=youtube;V2KlGDEGPMk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2KlGDEGPMk[/video]

[video=youtube;gQwZDBWXv_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQwZDBWXv_4[/video]

[video=youtube;T8smo0hRYU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8smo0hRYU4[/video]

Last edited:
Reaction score
I saw a head to head video of the iPhone 3g & the Droid on Phonedog, I think? The guy was saying The droid loaded up faster, the droid did this better, etc, yet at the end, he thought the iPhone was the "clear" winner. :blink:

Yep, it was Noah. He does a good job explaining things and pointing out strengths and weaknesses, but his opinion seems to be a little biased, especially since he has an iphone and lives in san francisco, which I believe I heard was one of the main cities affected by AT&T's poor service.

valnar

Reaction score
That was the most unscientific test possible. My dog has more credibility after that.

Mojo

Reaction score
I just did the test with that video going, and my droid beat both the droid and nexus1. I phone was faster, but not by much. And not nearly as bad as what the video showed.

Edmvr6

Reaction score
Droids hands down has better service.. these tests mean nothing to me.

ice456789

Reaction score
Assuming engadget was in a 3G area the test was academic to me because I never got a 3G signal on my phone anywhere near home in NE Wyoming.

One site/test isn't even close to receiving the accolade of "academic". Just from the guy's comments in the video, it definitely looked to be a video to promote the iphone and put down the other two. Also, the droid started syncing during the test, yet the reviewer decided it was fair enough..wtf? It had smug written all over it (which is the feeling I think most of us feel when we see people with iphones, macs, or hybrid cars).

If someone is truly going to do a test that is to be taken seriously, they should include proof that the cache is cleared, run both wifi and 3g tests on a minimum of 3 sites (5 and more would be better, but boring for a video), and directly after the phone was fully charged and just booted up with no other apps running.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Any test is faulty unless it is either a site that the phone has never visited or the cache is clear. Otherwise it is a test of how much data the phone caches from a website and how long it takes that data to be pulled.

If you want to test the networks, the only way to do it is on the same type of phone. If you want to test different phones, the only way to do it is on the same network. The only way to compare the speeds of the iphone to the Droid is on wifi.

jrl9851

Reaction score
You guys do realize that the engaget site is full of iphone nuthuggers, right? I wouldn't be surprised if they did something in that test to make it look like the iphone is much better.

Dmoralize

Reaction score
Just for the hell of it I tried this with my Droid along with the original video too. And i've never visited Engadget on my phone before.

On 3G, no wifi, I beat the Droid and N1 by far and was about 10 seconds behind the Iphone. So basically, same **** everyone else has been saying.

If you want to do a comparison, that's fine, but i'm not sure why people on a site like that feel the need to have an agenda. They sit around comparing awesome devices against each other as an excuse to nit-pick against whichever one they don't have. As if to brag that they bought the "superior" product by some slim, often subjective, margin.

Reaction score
They could just be bitter that they don't get to keep the devices to have for personal use and realize they just signed another 2 year agreement with AT&T, so they are just trying to make themselves feel better :-D

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Droid loaded engadget.com much faster as well. Why would both the Droid and Nexus One load so slow in the video? Weak signal strength?

Last edited:

keiichi25

Reaction score
Actually, any test is subjective given the fact that in the case of the three devices, the network strength and current usage would also affect how effective the browser is as well.

Remember, there was a posting in regards to AT&T having some issues with the amount of bandwidth usage in certain cities. Depending on how often the data is used in a particular area will also generate congestion or slowness, not to mention how the network accesses data in general.

bass_lover1

Reaction score
Just for the hell of it I tried this with my Droid along with the original video too. And i've never visited Engadget on my phone before.

On 3G, no wifi, I beat the Droid and N1 by far and was about 10 seconds behind the Iphone. So basically, same **** everyone else has been saying.

If you want to do a comparison, that's fine, but i'm not sure why people on a site like that feel the need to have an agenda. They sit around comparing awesome devices against each other as an excuse to nit-pick against whichever one they don't have. As if to brag that they bought the "superior" product by some slim, often subjective, margin.

Second that. Though, one thing I noticed was that loading the page using my home WiFi took about as long as in the video. Could be an issue with Android's WiFi capabilities.

Finkle

Reaction score
This review was pretty weak, especially compared to the one he did for the Droid in October. What bothers me is how he mentions all the "media hype" around the N1, when Engadget was guilty of posting a hyped-up article on a daily basis for the past few weeks; I even recall seeing a posting where they claimed the N1 was going to blow the Droid away.

What seemed like a bias towards the N1 for a while seems to have swung back to the iPhone. Darn tech blog nerds and their preference for a gadget! :p

It's not really relevant in this thread, but their Droid review was actually quite good and a little less biased. It actually helped nudge me in the direction of getting a Droid. Here's the link if you haven't already seen the review: Motorola DROID review -- Engadget .