Encryption questions

dtmfcc

Reaction score
I've been trying to understand why, since encrypting, I can't view files created post-encryption on my computer from the SD card via USB.

Here's some further follow-up

The good news is that even while SD card is encrypted, I can email a picture or a text file, and it is usable on the other end, which is what I would expect.

What I find strange is that I cannot view the same text file, or photos taken since encryption began, via USB on my computer. In fact, I can't even see the text file. The photo files can be seen, but aren't recognized as photos.

If I decrypt my card, and power down/up, I still can't read the photo files. I can see the text files, but their contents remain "scrambled".

I already know that that I can sync my calendar and contacts with Outlook with no problem.

So it seems that the encryption logic is different than what I would expect, and for no good reason that I can understand. If my phone is stolen and the SD card is removed, I would expect it to remain encrypted. If the phone is stolen and the SD card remains in it, it is protected by my password. If someone cracks my password, they can email all my files. But I can't view my files with the phone as USB mass storage device. Doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone from Motorola or Google explain?

mobilejoe

Reaction score
Droid X2 Encryption

I bought my first smartphone 3 months ago. I enabled data encryption when I first got it. It seemed like a good idea at the time. After several failed attempts to use backup software (dropbox, and countless others) I decided to backup my data manually via the USB cable. When I was unable to view the videos on my computer, I thought perhaps it was a simple codec issue. It was only after I tried to view the photos, that I realized the problem was much worse. Is there ANYTHING I can do to decrypt my data so I can view them on another device???? Please help!