Enable USB audio on any Android 4.0 device

OP
D

DanBa

Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy S III & planar magnetic Audeze LCD-2:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-ph...55#post_8873554

stock Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (micro-A plug inserted in the Note II) >> RSA Intruder USB DAC/amp >> Audeze LCD-2 headphones

500x1000px-LL-e1ef8fd0_721712.jpeg

"The LCD-2's sound phenomenal in balanced mode off the Intruder... Yum."

liviococcia

Reaction score
Hello Members, sorry to bump in like this but I've got to ask please...., when using these portable DAC's on your Samsung Galaxy phones, has any member found a way to power, or charge the phone at the same time as your playing music?

I notice a member using a 4 in 1 reader, but apparently the microUSB ports in this is only to supply power to the main USB ports in the reader.

So if anyone has a clever way of keeping the phone powered up while connected to there audio DAC, I'd love to know please.

Regards

liviococcia

Reaction score
afjk67ael, Sorry but thanks anyway for the input.

I don't get what your saying in the posting, and the links you've submitted are dead, they don't display anything, can you elaborate please as any possibilities may be the answer.

Regards

OP
D

DanBa

Reaction score
The us$43 Samsung Galaxy S3 + Car Stereo Upgrade for WAaaY better sound quality!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639883/the-43-gal...r-sound-quality

Galaxy S3 > digital USB audio out >> "USB OTG" cable >> Behringer UCA202 USB DAC >> car stereo amp >> car stereo speakers

"...
And so what are the results you ask?

HOLY MOLY!
Not only is the audio quality MUCH improved, but the sound is so CLEAN now. No clicks, burps, or any other weird background noises. Just straight CD quality background silence.
Even my GPS voice sounds prettier. hahah
Bass is tighter and deeper. Highs are more revealing. Everything is so much better that a novice could tell it sounds better.

And yes, GPS navigation works perfectly. If I'm listening to Pandora or an MP3 and my GPS needs to talk, then my music will go several db quieter and GPS will speak up, then afterwards the music will automatically go back to full volume.

Also, one thing I hated about Bluetooth was everytime I turned my car off for just a minute, when I would power it back on the Bluetooth would not consistently reconnect. Well, this USB-OTG has been very consistent for me so far. Music just picks back up where it left off at and is fairly quick to do so.

Cons? Well, I haven't tested hands free calling yet. But I'm told it doesn't work with this USB-OTG to DAC configuration. Maybe there is a bluetooth solution for that. I dunno? And AOSP does not yet support DACs.

Pros? Freakin everything.

Pics are below.

Here is the DAC and the USB-OTG cable:
LL.jpg

This is how you configure the DAC.
You can probably also use the headphones output instead of the stereo RCA, but I didn't try it.
LL.jpg

I wired up my USB-OTG cable to my iBOLT dock. It comes up through my dash defrost vents.
LL.jpg

This is what the three connectors on the USB-OTG cable look like:
LL.jpg

Here is the DAC being wired up. I taped up the non-used RCA's to prevent anything bugging with them.
LL.jpg

I wrapped up the DAC with DUCT tape.
Not sure how or why the pic is sideways. It looks normal on my desktop.
LL.jpg

Hid it behind my dash.
LL.jpg

Here is the USB-OTG cable with my iBOLT dock.
LL.jpg

The car stereo w/audio cable attached. Some car stereos have the 3.5mm connector in the back. Or a dual-RCA input. I'd prefer one of those to have a cleaner install. Maybe someday I'll upgrade my car stereo.
LL.jpg

And here is the finished product. My S3 docked, charging and outputing beautiful digital music!
LL.jpg

.." [CZ Eddie]

liviococcia

Reaction score
So your managing to power the S3 using that particular 'Y' adapter, while still sending audio data to the DAC, and am guessing the phones all Samsung Stock Jb/kernal, no file mods, am I right?

Trouble is, I'd like to give this a go with my S Note2 and HRT Headstreamer Mobile, but I can't find any website sellers prepared to dispatch to the UK, if anyone knows were I can get the same 'Y' adapter, please post a link.

Just a note, the HRT Headstreamer Mobile sounds great, very detailed, with a tight and solid bass, I'm well pleased I bought it, now I'm waiting for a Yarland Amplifier upgrade to arrive.

Regards

OP
D

DanBa

Reaction score
USB Audio Recorder PRO: "USB audio recording and playback now finally possible on Android devices!"
"Supported are mono and stereo streams, 16-bit and 24-bit and any sample rate (up to 192kHz) that the device provides."
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro
Android phones and USB DACs
USBAudioRecorderPRO

Some USB DACs, like the FiiO E17, not working with stock USB audio software, can interwork with the Samsung Galaxy S3 and other Android devices using USB Audio Recorder PRO:

music stored on Galaxy S3 > USB Audio Recorder PRO player > digital USB audio out >> "USB OTG" cable >> FiiO E17 >> headphones

LL.jpg

reddragon72

Reaction score
Hey DanBa I have situation that I am trying to resolve for a HUGE upcoming use of the Android OS and I found your great post that I think you may be able to help resolve.

There are lots of people out there using Android TV sticks. These are devices that have no build in display and connect to the TV VIA HDMI. This is all well and good and delivers a great picture. The issue we are having is HDMI pass through of AC3 and DTS. Seems that there is no standard yet for this on Android, but a few work arounds have been made that work for some people with HDMI pass through surround systems. I unfortunately do not have one of those and depend on good old optical S/PDIF(TOSLink).

I see that you are testing a lot of USB devices some of which have that optical out. I have been eyeing the turtle beach USB device, but don't want to make the jump and find out it does not work.

Is it possible for you to run a test of a movie or audio file that is coded in AC3 and DTS and see if the receiver can receive and decode the audio through the turtle beach USB that you showed in a video a few pages back? There are a number of players on the play store that support AC3/DTS audio playback and video MKV with AC3 or DTS. If this little device can send the compressed signal to the surround system for decoding then all my woes of trying to find a cheap alternative to buying a whole new head unit will be solved with a 20 dollar device!!

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

OP
D

DanBa

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am just the messenger.
I didn’t test the Turtle Beach USB device. You should ask the tester at the related link I provided.

About DTS playback,
"Dts Es track -> neutronmp on galaxy s3 -> digital stream via usb port -> iBasso D zero -> Shure SE535 = heaven sound.
- clarity
- clean
- tight bass
EQ and 3D effect of neutron work so fine."
• View topic - USB DAC support on USB OTG enabled devices? {Please vote!}

reddragon72

Reaction score
Dang. I may just take the plung and buy it but ensure they will take it back if I have issues with it. I know the AC3/DTS works on a PC, but Android can be a different beast and trick you into thinking something may work. LOL

thanks though.

OP
D

DanBa

Reaction score
"Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II confirmed working with optical SPDIF to my Benchmark on Samsung Galaxy S III." [Badhack]

Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (micro-A plug inserted in the S III) >> Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II > digital optical SPDIF audio out >> optical SPDIF cable >> Benchmark DAC

reddragon72

Reaction score
"Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II confirmed working with optical SPDIF to my Benchmark on Samsung Galaxy S III." [Badhack]

Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (micro-A plug inserted in the S III) >> Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II > digital optical SPDIF audio out >> optical SPDIF cable >> Benchmark DAC

I've ordered one off these to see if it does 5.1 in different codecs like ac3 and dts. Wont be here till after Christmas though but I'll report my findings here.

Thanks!!