Enable True Adoptable Storage On The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The most exciting news of the day has to be the fact that Samsung actually left Adoptable storage in touchwiz. The feature is not easily accessed however, and is not at all apparent. Samsung believed that their users would rather have a removable sdcard that they could store photos on and share between devices easily. With adoptable storage your sdcard is formatted and is used as internal storage so you can't just go willy nilly removing it from your phone and sticking it into other devices.

Samsung does allow you to store apps on the SDcard, but this is not the same as adoptable storage. "PaulOBrien" did some deep digging and found a way to get adoptable storage working on the S7 and S7 edge! All you have to do is type a few commands in ADB and you are good to go. You don't even need root! Head to the link below for full instructions.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
With adoptable storage if you remove the sdcard it will force you to reformat it once you reinsert it, will it not?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
With adoptable storage if you remove the sdcard it will force you to reformat it once you reinsert it, will it not?
I believe that is true, so back up the data on the card before taking the plunge. That's good practice anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I believe that is true, so back up the data on the card before taking the plunge. That's good practice anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I believe it happens every time you remove it. This phone has the SD slot married to the simcard tray...I wonder if you have a simcard issue and have to replace it if it will make you reformat from the inevitable simcard ejection or if it will recognize the sdcard automatically after the first reformat?